Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

On the fuzzy photo of the barrel flats there appears to be something just above the flats stamped into the steel. What does that mark say? Also, I see no crown/nitro unless it is on that edge. If the gun had been sent back for reproof there would be a repair mark which I don't see. We also need a photo of the action table to see what is marked there other than the serial number almost visible in the photos above. There is no question this is a set of German barrels. I think it remains to be shown where the action came from.

Randy---
The body of your gun is definitely German, not Belgian. It is typical work of the best Suhl makers, though this gun is certainly not anywhere near the level of their best work. It is a bit odd in having just that little blipp in the juncture between the action and the wood. In the cheapest boxlocks this will be perfectly straight. In the better grades it had one or two roundings machined in, and it was scallopped in the most expensive. So this is peculiar.
The side indicators are an upgrade item.
I think your interpretation of the markings regarding the dates of proof is right.
As to the maker, this seems to be a persistent mystery. German guns exhibiting traits such as found on yours are not uncommon. I have a few of them and I have see a lot. But no one seems to know who made them.
Good stuff, though.

OP Offline

Jerry,

It says Nitro in script letters. I cannot recall the other marks. I will take a few more photos and post. I just bought this camera so I am still playing with it.

Edge - the edge of the receiver caught my attention when I first picked it up. It is funny that the first thought was that this gun was "JABC" as the late Russ would have pointed out, but the proofs showed pure German.

More pics are coming soon.

Thanks.

Duke

Last edited by Randy Duke; 11/27/06 03:36 PM.

Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow. Benjamin Franklin
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 123 over 431 marks show the gun was the 431st gun proofed at that proof house in January 1923. German proof mark crown-over-S indicates smoothbore, crown-over-W is some degree of choke (usually lots), crown-over-U is the final inspection mark. 16/1 indicates that at the time of proof the bore diameter was between .669-.676", the next size up from standard 16 which ran from .662-.668"; 16-in-a-circle shows the gun was chambered for 16 gauge cartridges, the absence of a "70" mark anywhere shows the gun originally had 65mm (2-1/2" or so) chambers.

Nice looking gun. It's also always a pleasure to see unbuggered screw heads.

Last edited by Steve Meyer; 11/27/06 07:05 PM.
OP Offline

Steve,

Thanks for looking at this. I just joined GGCA and asked Dietrich about this gun. His reply was that he was forwarding the email to you. Sabrina Schuman just emailed me asking for better proof photos. (Inquiry #873)

Dustin (aka LeFusil)wrote that it looked like a JP Sauer Model 3 action. Ivory beads has a Model 3 on their site that looks very similar to mine but the receiver metal to wood is straight not scalloped or with the little ripple I have on mine.

Chambers are measuring about 2-1/2. I get some other photos especially of the proof marks on the flats and the watertable.

Duke

Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow. Benjamin Franklin
OP Offline

Here are some additional pictures of this 16ga.

OP Offline

The wood repair appears a lot darker than it does when you see it.

Here is a picture of a JP Sauer Model 3 for comparison with my 16ga.

Last edited by Randy Duke; 11/28/06 12:19 AM.

Randy, Keep working with that camera. Your getting better.

OP Offline

Deltaboy,

Thanks.

Duke

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shucks, I was hoping for something more exotic to show up on the action table and barrels forward of the barrel flats. This is obviously a German gun through and through. I think the action forging is most likely provided by Sauer and the differences between this gun and the finished Sauer is a little different work by whoever filed it up. Sort of unusual to see such nice extra work with the reinforced shoulders, sideclips, reshaped back line on the action etc yet very modest engraving befitting a field grade gun.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.