May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Karl Graebner, Chantry, 1 invisible), 252 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,125
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I weakened when Ed said his newest book was under $30 on buy.com or whatever. I like Parker guns alot, but thought another hurray Parker book was not real interesting. BUT, I received the book today and I want to recommend it to lots of you fellows who like all of the early breechloaders. At least half of the book is about other guns, Whitneys, Ethan Allens, Boyd Breechloading Arms Co., Lefever, Baker , Remington, ---------well you get it. Lots of good photos and ads. I know lots of you will enjoy reading what he has published and I wish to commend him. Thank you, too, to all of the Walt Snyders, Bob Elliots, Mike McIntoshes [sp?] ,John Houchins, Parker guys, etc who have written about our wonderful gun heritage. I did not mean to leave anyone out as I am gratefull to you all. Get the book and you will have hours of enjoyment. I just put it in my suitcase , ready for my southwest quail hunting trip .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed has copiously gone through endless magazines, journals and correspondence from the period. His research is very sound. His prose is easy to read. His pictures are great. I am very pleased with my purchase and I don't even own a Parker.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

$36+ at Amazon; free shipping. I have had some trouble swallowing Muderlak's booster enthusiasm on occasion but I sprang for the "old reliable" book and I'll most likely get this one based on the recommendation above. Only piece of the Parker legend I can afford!

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I got Ed's Limited Edition and with it he thru in several Parker catalogue reprints & a copy of "Knight of the Trigger" the story of Arthur DuBray. I just finished it and it alone was worth the price of all. I will be delving into the Parker book next. Congratulations Ed, you did a wonderful job.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoping Santa will bring me a copy of his first Parker book. I have Peter Johnson's book, and Larry Baer's as well-were Parkers the best of all the American made BOXLOCK side-by-side shotguns? I read a rumor that Winchester in the 1920's tried to acquire Parker Brothers- not for sale-took the Crash of Oct 1929 to "grease the skids for that"- 1934 Remington-UMC. I find Ed M.'s postings here to be very well thought out, wonder why the PGCA doesn't allow him, I assume he is a member, to post on their forum? Surely, he doesn't need that forum to advertise his books-their quality, like that of the "Old Reliables" speaks volumes..RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 11/04/08 11:26 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that he must have ruffled some PGCA feathers a while back. Their hierarchy seems pretty self congratulatory & the names of the directors don't seem to change very much.

Just My Thoughts.........George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ordered it today based on your recommendation, Daryl. Thanks for the tip. Oh, my copy cost $28.95 (includes shipping)....got it by clicking on the "used" books at Amazon. Brand new copy.

Too hot to quail hunt in the Texas Panhandle so today I flew over to New Mexico and fly fished for trout. Shirt sleeve weather on the first of November! Betcha it won't stay that way...

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah yes-inbreeding- the downfall of the European ruling "classes"-as my fishing pals often say- "Time to change the water on the minnows- Wonder how many of that elite gruppen lost their funding for the next 28 gauge CHE at Schuckadella's Fine Gunz Auction Haus- who can say. I always put my dinero in real estate not high end guns- as Mark Twain once said- "In the long run, real estate can be the best investment one can make, as God only made so much land and He always seems to be making more people"!! Parkers are excellent shotguns, no doubt of that, but like with any other valuable item, there are "sharks" around-at least the gruppen that banned EDM (like telling the Pontiff he can't celebrate Mass anymore in the Vatican) has the wisdom not to allow sales of Parkers via their forum. Sure, a gent buying a 20 bore AAHE to shoot lawyers with (and the odd quails) in TX most likely ain't gonna saw it off and use it to rob a 7-11- But the Feds don't take that attitude-why risk it??

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 11/04/08 11:29 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Ah yes... (1) I always put my dinero in real estate not high end guns- as Mark Twain once said- "In the long run, real estate can be the best investment one can make, as God only made so much land and He always seems to be making more people"!!

(2)...at least the gruppen that banned EDM (like telling the Pontiff he can't celebrate Mass anymore in the Vatican) has the wisdom not to allow sales of Parkers via their forum- If you don't think the BATF Gestapo ain't patrolling the E-Net and the gun groups, guess again.

We agree (1) and disagree (2): First on real estate, my wherewithal is tied to the land (farmland) and I haven't owned stocks and/or bonds since 1995, so, to a point, we agree in the present tense.

But let's go back to the roaring 1970s, when the investors were chasing mucho dinero after farmland on the theory that they "weren't making it anymore." The price/earnings ratio of rents to asking/selling price skyrocketed (from a historic 20 to 25 times rents to 50 times rents). Investors were happy to buy a $3,000 acre renting for $100, with debt at 8% to 12% interest on the rationale that the $240 to $360 per acre interest was deductible at ordinary income tax rates, while they were going to flip the farm at a profit and pay only capital gains rates on the "profit." This is known in the trade as "the greater fool syndrome."

Truth be told, I did some of it (in moderation), and always found my "greater fool." Then I found my dreamboat in October 1980, stopped speculating in overpriced farmland, and sailed off into the sunset in spring 1981. Then the bubble burst, as all bubbles sooner or later do. I was lucky. And luckier yet when I returned from my 3-year sabbatical and found all that speculative $3,000 farmland in foreclosure and valued at $440 to $810, with rents of $70 to $80 per acre, and no one wanted it! (except me).

(1) Lesson to be learned is that when everyone is buying, maybe it's best to withdraw from the market. Could this be the case now with expensive double guns? It's hard to say, because they seem to keep going higher. Being smarter than the market is always retrospective. I think farmland in particular, and real estate in general, are overpriced. Investigation continues...

(2) As to whether a collectors group, like the PGCA or LCSCA, could or should allow the mention of guns looking for new owners, or persons looking for specific guns to express their first amendment rights on the group's BBS or Forum,:

I BELIEVE IT DEFEATS THE VERY PURPOSE FOR WHICH THE GROUPS EXIST, TO PROHIBIT MENTION OF GUNS FOR SALE OR GUNS WANTED ON TODAY'S BEST SOURCE OF CURRENT INFORMATION: THE INTERNET.

This issue goes back to the inception of parkergun.org when Ron Kirby and I burned up the phone lines several evenings a week, and what now is the BOD were, in reality, Ron's go-fer's, and had no legal control of the PGCA. Ron wanted to suck up to the dealers. Ron felt that if Parkers were bought and sold between collectors at "retail" rather than dealers buying collections at wholesale, breaking up the collection, and reselling one at a time at retail was going to hurt dealers.

But my understanding of the impetus for founding the PGCA (gleaned from many an evening in the founder's gun room, and with lunches with several of the founding directors back in the mid- to late 1990s) was to promote networking among collectors, not pimp for dealers. So when Ron called to sound me out about his plan to prohibit buy/sell communication on the new, almost on-line BBS, he claimed the specious concern about BATF monitoring the internet. I corrected him...but his real agenda was to protect dealers.

FACT: The Internet is no more subject to BATF monitoring or control than the newsletters mailed by the PGCA and LCSCA; both use a means of interstate communication. In other words, if the BATF were a legitimate concern, then the respective collectors associations should likewise prohibit buy/sell in their paper and ink publications. Prohibiting buy/sell on the PGCA site was simply Ron's ploy to favor dealers at its inception, which has since 2003, been perpetuated by the BOD of the reorganized PGCA, against good judgment.

I continue to be critical...and one cannot do anything but praise the current BOD under penalty of being excommunicated, so your reference to the Pope is well taken.

But the BATF and Buy/Sell prohibition aside, the rule is honored in its violation. A substantial percentage of the threads on parkergun.org are about guns for sale or thinly veiled offers to buy. This has to drive the webmaster nuts, and it impairs the vitality of the of the website and organization itself to have what is perceived as a silly rule with helter-skelter and often irrational enforcement.

While the first amendment only accrues to the one who controls the medium, be he an editor at a newspaper who slants coverage to tout BHO, or a webmaster who is chided by the BODs of a collectors group to squelch legitimate critique, the result is the same loss of credibility. Who would ever guess that a association dedicated to collecting anything, be it fine shotguns or barbie dolls, would prohibit communications directed to acquiring or dis-acquiring the very items that sparked interest formation of the group in the first place. EDM

EDM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm inclined to agree with Ed, if in fact the original and sole purpose not to allow offers to buy/sell on the Parker Forum, was to protect the dealer & his profit margin. I also agree with Fox that it may be time to change the water in the minnow bucket. The old adage still holds true: "If you ain't growin yer dying" and not to allow someone new to Parkers to puchase his/her first one from someone on that forum especially dedicated to that brand seems foolish and self serving. Conversely for that new person who wishes to dispose of a Parker, not to be able to straightforwardly advertise it for sale on the Parker Forum, that likewise seems foolish. I sincerely hope that the Pope gets to say Mass in the Vatican once more.

Just My Thoughts.......George

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.