April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Ian Forrester, Lloyd3, Jimmy W, Hammergun, gasgunner), 448 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,101
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#11090 11/21/06 12:54 AM
OP Offline

Some photos of 16ga from previous thread

Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow. Benjamin Franklin
OP Offline

A few more...

Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow. Benjamin Franklin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice metal Randy but it looks as if the wood's been taken down.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
BCD Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob
Nice metal Randy but it looks as if the wood's been taken down.

Rob,

Do you think it's been taken down by refinishing, or is it more a case of drying out and shrinkage?

I'm still learning.

Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is Uhlig a German or Belgian maker?

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the same concern as marklart. The style of the action definitely appears Belgian, but the single fuzzy picture of proof marks appears to show pre war German proofs. Are there other proof marks on the gun, perhaps under the barrel flats, that are different?

OP Offline

To all,

Thanks for the replies. There is a repair to the wood on the left side of the receiver so I need to glass this area as best as I can to close the gaps.

There are no Belgian marks on the metal anywhere. No Perron or other Belgian like marks. I'll try to get a better photo of the proof marks. All proofs appear German.

I purchased another camera so I am still learning how to take pics.

What is puzzling to me is the "1 23" over the "4 31" I was thinking that it went back for a reproof perhaps??

Any ideas about who may have actually made it?

Duke

Sidelock
Sidelock

The action is definately GERMAN. Looks like a JP Sauer Model 3 action to me. Not familiar with the maker, just like in England there were quite a few provincial gunmakers in Germany, so who knows. Is there a "Sauer und Sohn" mark on the watertable? The mark is a S on top of a banner, with a small "u" in the banner followed by another "S" underneath that. Check it out.

Best,
Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

The reinforced angle of breech looks French. This "Volkgewehre" was made in Deutchland. When the action profile reminds one of boar's/bulldog's head it's definitely German. The retaining screws and cocking indicators are characteristic of Gery's preoccupation with metalwerke and side clips/cross bolt manifests their luv of brutal strength. Stock is usually sap wood. How much do you want to bet his first name was Wilhelm?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would agree the action looks like a Sauer, except that it has the large reinforce butress that Sauer did not use. These were very popular Belgian features. It has been established, however, that there are no Belgian proofs, only German. It's an attractive action, whoever made it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.