May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Der Ami, Chantry, Jimmy W, MattH, Craigster, 1 invisible), 914 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,940
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Clapton hardly discovered SRV. By 1990 I had probably seen SRV play 5 times and he was plenty big by then.

Clapton is technically a very proficient player - but so are thousands of other guitar players all over the world. Where he falls short is he lacks originality and has no style of his own. What Clapton had is that he is a "media darling" - he fits the mold of what the media thinks an aging rock guitarist should be. He photographs well. Hendrix was about 5 million times better.

But Joe Walsh? Why he's so far better than anyone else it can't even be measured!!!!! LOL.....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guitar players are like the engraving on the guns and purely subjective.

I remember seeing Eddie Van Halen in the seventies and he sucked at the concert that I saw.

You guys did not even mention the one and only, the baddest, the most sublime....yes the Reverend Billie G!!!!!....moment of silence please. Yes Texas has the best guitar players. EC got a lot of stuff from Freddie King. Don't forget Johnny Winter and T Bone Walker(from my home town).

Please realize that Joe Walsh's best moment was at Claptons guitar thing in Dallas. He was obviously possessed by the ghost of some Texas Guitarist.

Yes Hendrix was great but the fact that he was not from Texas is a disturbing fact that makes one wonder if he had a forged birth certificate!

Clapton has the worst stratocaster sound on the planet but he was the man with the Gibsons and Marshalls. I think the 335 used on Crossroads is the greatest sound.

I still cannot imagine getting rid of those guns. Maybe to buy a David Mckay Brown with the Gailic engraving??

Sidelock
Sidelock

He's probably investing in black rifles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimi "Purple Haze" Hendrix, Janis "The Pearl" Joplin and Jim "Riders On The Storm" Morrison all died while I was involved with WoodStock-1969-70 era. Drugs, booze (Janis lived on Southern Comfort) and Morrison- doing the Aldous Huxley peyote influenced mind-tripping- and the name of his ban "The Doors" comes from an early Huxley book (prior to Brave New World)- "The Doors of Perception"- the wood stock to which I am referring was NOT a bunch of unwashed piss-headed potted Hippies cavorting buck-ass naked in the mud at Max Yeager's dairy farm in Upstate New York State- but the walnut stock on the M-21 (.308 NATO)sniper/countersniper weapon I was carrying at that wonder-filled moment in time- wondering if I would rotate back to "The World" intact.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

You mis-read my post G-Man. I never said Eric "discovered" SRV- in my opinion, the best guitar slinger ever- and for the other LG poster- WTF does classical guitarist Andres Segovia have to do with Blues-that's about as relevent to Eric Clapton as Hillary Clinton is to feminity-Eric was "blown away" when he first heard SRV doing his first big release- Texas Flood, that is all. Eric did some stuff with B.B. King on a CD called "Ridin' With The King" B.B. plays Gibsons ES-3's exclusively (I favor a Paul Reed Smith for my electric "chops") and does anyone (besides me)know why B.B. has always called his Gibsons "Lucille" (he's on number 18 now I hear). I know the answer.. I take my guitars and playing as seriously as anything gun related-great hobby-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chux- surprised you didn't go for Mark Knopfler- lead man for Dire Straits- In his great song "The Sultans" he refers to "Guitar George, he knows all the chords, but he doesn't make it cry or sing". Mark did lead work for two of Dylan' earlier recordings: "Blonde on Blonde" and "Blood on the Tracks"..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing is sadder Foxie, than an old man playing 1-4-5 stuff.
There are wonderful chords to be had, perhaps with a little more practice then?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Knopfler played on Dylan's Infidels album as well.

Knopfler is an excellent example of a guitar player who is waaay better than EC.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When BB King was young and playing in a dance joint, a fight broke out and caused a fire. The woman they were fighting over was named Lucille.

"Nothing is sadder Foxie, than an old man playing 1-4-5 stuff."

Nothing better than an old man that has been playing the 12 bar blues all his life do it with some feeling.

You gotta be careful where you put them pussy chords.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: chux
Oh well, he's one of the most overrated guitar players of all time anyway.

Say what? I have a massive blues collection and can safely say the great guitarist do not play riffs, they make the axe sing. My top 5
Jimi Hendrix.. listen to his blues stuff
Stevie Ray .. Could not read music, so he made it up.
Buddy guy .. buy his album sweet tea and make yourself a drink
Eric clapton . His blues stuff sets his style apart
Eddie Van Halen. He can make a guitar talk

I won't even go ther because this debate is ageless, like "Mac or PC"

I would have to add Jeff Beck to your blues/rock players list along with Carlos Santana.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.