May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Argo44, 1 invisible), 321 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,020
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#117222 10/16/08 11:57 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just bought a Henry Pieper Cape gun. The rifle is .375 H & H mag (re-chambered). I know how to make that work with Barnes bullets. What I am trying to figure out is what can I do for a non-toxic slug in the smoothbore cylinder barrel. All of the copper stuff is in sabots. For accuracy don't these require rifling?

Any suggestions?

Could the smoothbore barrel be rifled?

Need to hunt in CA condor Country with non-toxic (BS) bullets

Thanks

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gerald, Try shotgunworld.com and look under slug shooters on the forum index. Rich

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gerald have you shot the 375 or seen it shot? I haven't seen a cape gun yet that I would rechamber to 375 magnum. Most were made for black powder rounds. Is it a modern made gun? Be real careful.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gerald,

I agree with Mike. Most of the Pieper cape guns I have seen were produced during the black powder era. You say it has been "rechambered". I can not imagine that the action or the barrel will be capable of handling an elephant round. I shoot a 375 H&H. A full power load will produce 62,000 PSI.
http://www.handloads.com/misc/saami.htm
That is well beyond what that action can handle.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gerald are you sure its chambered for the 375 H&H? There is a .375 flanged nitro express 2 1/2". This would make more sence to me as I'd shoot it in a cape gun. Page 390 11th edition of Cartridges of the world.

Jerry:

I have to agree with Mike and Pete.

I think maybe I saw the ad for this gun online. It said ".375 H & H Flanged". Didn't say magnum. That would possibly suggest a non-expert reference to .375 2 1/2" Flanged Nitro Express, as opposed to .375 Flanged Magnum.

Henri Pieper died in 1898 and his firm was taken over by his son, Nicolas. My understanding is that the business was continued in the the son's name. My hunch is that if your Cape Gun is marked Henri Pieper, it was made before 1898. No such gun would be suitable for rechambering to .375 Magnum. Is this a hammergun?

Are there any original caliber markings on this gun? It's possible that it was rechambered from .38-55 to .375 2 1/2" Flanged NE. In the 1880's & 90's, Henri Pieper made quite a few Cape Guns with the rifle barrel in .38-55 Winchester. Pressure-wise, the .375 2 1/2" Flanged NE is close enough to make a rechambering feasible. Not so the .375 Magnum.

So...are you sure that this rifle has been rechambered to .375 Magnum? Have you made a chamber cast? If you're sure that it has been rechambered to Magnum, has it been properly reproved? What do the proof marks say? If it has been rechambered to Magnum but has not been reproved, don't even think about firing it.

I would strongly recommend against using Barnes monos, or any other homogenous bullet, in a Cape Gun or double rifle of this age. If you have no choice but to hunt in a no-tox area, use a single barrel rifle.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
m-4 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry,
I own a Henri Pieper cape gun, back action locks, rebounding hammers, it is chambered in 12 ga 2 1/2 & 38-55 and is marked so on the action flats under the shotgun bbl. It is a nice Belgium
made cape gun with a horn butt plate with widows peak, Anson Deely forend latch with a horn wedge in the forend, 30" bbl's. I am willing to sell mine as I collect mainly German guns but the Pieper's were a nice Belgium gun as he was the second largest Belgium gunmaker behind FN.

M-4

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, Henri Pieper was born, 1840, in Soest ( Westphalia ) which is in modern Germany. Pieper was one of the original investors in FN. In 1905 Pieper produced 60,000 shotguns, 30,000 hand guns, 30,000 rifles and 12 million cartridges. Pieper never experienced the crippling strikes that FN did.

Eventually FN did out pace all other Belgian makers.

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes you are all correct, a full load 375 H & H mag would be to much for that gun and I do not intend to to shoot new ammo in it or take an elephant with it!

The handloads for it are loaded to 2200 fps with only a 235 grain bullet. (vs 2700 -2800 fps) It was re-chambered to that and to keep the pressures low, the only way to do that is to handload. It was chambered for some 9.? x ??R. It has an 18 to 1 twist and it cannot stabilize longer bullets. I am hoping I won't have a problem with the Barnes! If I do, I'll have to have someone machine the Barnes Bullet shorter! (Yikes $)

The gun is tight as a tick, has heavy barrels and the shotgun barrel is steel not damascus. ( I bought it)

I bought it just for fun and maybe to shoot a pig with it at my favorite water hole. I do appreciate the warnings.

Now how about my non-toxic slug questions.

Thanks guys.

Jerry

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.