April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, 1 invisible), 384 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust Remover is similar to naval jelly, but I think a little milder. You can find it at any good sporting goods store. Wonko -- post pics of your AYA ten gauge, I miss it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Alex,

Could you give instructions? I have a car battery charger handy.

Thanks in advance,

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
JLN Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Google is a terrible thing to waste.

Here is a link to the process. I have never tried this.

Electrolysis for Rust Removal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks JLN. It is a simple and informative article and a very doable project.

I have a science background but did not specialize in chemistry so I am curious of the chemical makeup of the black spots on many recievers I see. This is often left after steel wool and oil treament on a rusted, slightly pitted metal receiver. We have all seen it. The only response I have ever gotten about removing it is to sand the metal which I don't want to do since it may ruin or at least thin the engraving. Thoughts, suggestions or info?

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the dark black/blue spots are an oxide equating to blueing. I've seen it on auto parts like transmission input shafts and axles that lightly rusted and then were steelwooled. Some parts turn a nice even shade of light blue. I'm guessing there is a natural process where the rust converts, albeit slowly, to ferro-ferric oxide or blueing as when rusted parts are boiled in the rust blue process.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JLN, touché.

You are right, found several instructions complete with pictures, explanations
and what not.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
JLN Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought about this more and if you really want to see if this works before attempting on something that you have dear to your heart, why not try some scrap.

If you are close to the country or farm or know a good scrap yard head on over and see if you can find some rusted parts. If they are heavily pitted and small, then boil them in a pot to convert it to the ferro-ferric Oxide. Then sand the top to get it shiny but leave the deeper holes alone and see what happens during electrolysis.

The other option is to buy a cheap double barrel on the auction sites. I think there are a few on AA and GB right now for $15 to $50. You could find a really nasty cheap one and buy it just for a test. If it fails then no harm no foul.

Just thinking about this as this process has merrit on some old parts I got lying around. However those old parts have value, so before I really ruin them I'm going to try some tests.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It definitely will work to remove rust, in fact (if you hook the wires up correctly) won't remove anything but rust. I have had good luck with it on old tools that have severe rusting. You still need to do a bit of scrubbing (I use a synthetic pad) but it is probably the best method I have found for cleaning tools without damaging the metal. Keep in mind it will only clean the surface, it won't put back what has already been eaten by rust, but it is worth a try. Take the advice and practice on something you don't care about first just to ease your mind, but it is relatively fool proof. By the way I first learned about this after reading an article that mentioned this was a method sometimes used by museaums to clean artificats.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.