April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (CJ Dawe), 990 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
pointer Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

can anyone help me get an idea on teh value of an american arms derby in 28 ga it appears to be a spanish true sidelock gun in excellent condition.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Pointer and welcome to the forum!!! Great folks here with lots of knowledge and helpful info. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The American Arms Derby is a true sidelock gun (5 pin) there were two makers, Francisco Serriugarte and Zabala Hermanos. The Derby was available in both a coin or case color finish and also with SNST or DT. I have a Derby made by Serriugarte in coin finish and ST. It has been a good gun, but I did have a problem with the ST, which is now resolved. The fit and finish on mine is very good, not great but good. You can tell the difference between the S.F. and Z.H. by the engraving pattern and the F.S. is stocked to the fences.

As to value, it all depends on the maker as well as condition and also if the gun is a two bbl set. Values I've seen run from $600 to $2100.

Hope this helps!!

Again, welcome to the forum!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 28-ga. Derby is built on a 20-ga. frame, because of this it will weigh more than a 20-ga. Derby. Why then would you want one? I have seen them listed with asking prices at about a grand or a little more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I too own a Derby produced by F. Sarriugarte. Although I bought it for quail hunting, I have used it for dove, woodcock, snipe, and duck. It has performed flawlessly and I would recommend them to any upland hunter looking for a quality sidelock ejector at an affordable price. One of the best buys to be found anywhere in my opinion.

Sarriugarte will bring more than the Zabala models as they are higher quality guns. The Zabala models will usually bring somewhere between $600-$1200 (sometimes more). The Sarriugarte models will usually bring between $1000-$1500 (although I have seen them listed for much more). I have also seen 28's and 410's list for well over $2000. I don't know if they sold though.

What is the asking price, if you don't mind me asking? Can you post some pictures?

Here a Zabala Derby...
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=10063

Compare that to my Sarriugarte Derby...

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

About eight years ago I brokered a purchase between two friends of a rather plain Derby 28 sidelock made by the Hermanos. They exchanged $450, which seemed like quite a deal but all the seller wanted.

The new buyer liked it a lot, and a few years later took it to Alaska for a ptarmigan hunt. He ended up giving it as a gift/tip to a young lady there who had acted as their guide. He now has asked me if I can find him another one!

Sidelock
Sidelock

As noted above, the problem with these guns, as 28's, is the weight. I had one to field test at the same time as a Parker-Hale (Ugartechea) boxlock. I bought the Ugartechea because it weighed what a 28ga game gun should. But if you don't mind the weight, they're OK guns and the prices are decent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pointer
can anyone help me get an idea on teh value of an american arms derby in 28 ga it appears to be a spanish true sidelock gun in excellent condition.

Another way to determine who manufactured the gun is to look at its age. The Sarriugarte Derby models were imported starting in the 70's (I think) until '86. After that, American Arms switch to Zabala Hermanos as their manufacturer. They continued to import them until the late 90's, I guess.

Best of luck to you!

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

There were atleast three manufacturers of the Derby, F. Sarriugarte and Zabala Hermanos as noted above. Armas Erbi also built them---they were known as "Erbi Derby's".

In regards to quality, I do not believe you can make a blanket statement that one manufacturer was better than another at producing the Derby, but rather you have to inspect and judge each individual gun to determine its quality. I have seen junk and I have seen guns that weren't too shoddy by each of these manufacturers.

pointer Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

thanks for all of the input, Dave Trevallion told me this was the place to go for info. I will find out Mon. which maker, the gun is not marked with manufacturer. My guess is zabala but we will see. It is an snst but I don't recall if it was stocked to the fences. It is color case as well. I'll keep you posted. I originally was looking for a .410 cz to play around with on woodcock but i found this and thought it may make a nice companion for a 28 matador I bought last year, you see I have twin 13yo sons who started carrying guns and woodcock hunting last year! Thanks again

Sidelock
Sidelock

pointer, check this site for Spanish makers marks. Many of the later ones have the makers mark in front of the serial #.

http://personales.jet.es/rafa/b_punzones_larga_lisa.html

Jim

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.