May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Lloyd3, Tim Wolf, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 137 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,543
Posts546,074
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey....wait a minute!
That Cabela's scope was, I think....$52.75 with tax, handling, insurance and shipping!
I luv it!
Instead of a cheap rimfire rifle, I bought a cheap scope.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LG:

As Sean Kelly said to Bobke Roll, "You just ain't gonna quit, are you?" Good on you!

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of those cheap scopes are truly impressive. Maybe I wouldn't count on one if I was going on safari, but, if I had the inclination to do a "Thorny crow safari" I wouldn't think twice about it. I was reading about an optical factory (far east, of course) that had a production area that wasn't lit, when a machine broke, the repairman had to bring a light to work on the unit. Alas, good guns won't be like that any time soon. I'm sure an accountant somewhere is just sick about it, too.
I saw NO machines in the G. Granger shop in St. Etienne. Three guys at a bench with hand tools. The Bruchet's have a machine that profiles the inside of the barrels, the outside is struck by hand. The only other machine that they used was a small lathe with a jig ('er,I mean, fixture) for drilling the hole for the bolt in the buttstock. They do contract with a guy for rifle cut (spreader) barrels on shotguns, and I think the double rifle barrels are purchased in a finished state on the ID. The action start as round forgings that are delievered with three rough cuts made around each piece. The balance is done by hand.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow! It's hard for me to imagine how a person could make the internal configurations of a gun frame without a machine like a mill or shaper. Also difficult to imagine taking a big ol bar of steel and filing the external shape of a modern barrel while holding wallthickness consistantly. But my question is why. Why would anyone chose to do these things without the benefit of a machine?

I believe we are living in a period where the relative pinnacle of gunmaking is possible at all levels of economic class or catagory. The blending of technology with traditional work can produce the best "best" ever. The RBL is an example of bringing higher quality to lower price point.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a darn good question from the historico/educatonal as well as the advocacy perspective. I can more or less see the increasing metal work as one progresses from bar in wood to sidelock action bar to boxlock but most of what we hear about the "allied crafts" concerns fitting and finishing processes that come well after the how you get those mortises and channels stage. How did they do it? Archimedean drill as in down by the Ganges? Drill a bunch of holes, connect the holes with a small frame saw, break out the waste, clean it all up to the line with floats and files? Does the bar-action sidelock action really pre-date all but the most rudimentary machining. Which ones? When? What does a blind hole like the "box" of a sidelock mean? What developments in machining made it possible? Go ahead, educate me.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack,
I dunno jack about the history of machine tools, but I poked around the net and found some stuff. I have only crossed checked these claims in a few other websites and make no claim to their accuracy.

It seems Eli Whitney (US)is often credited for having invented the modern milling machine in 1818. In the same year, Thomas Blanchard (US)(of Blanchard grinder fame?) was said to have invented a duplicating machine for gunstocks. Joey Whitworth (UK) suggested standardized screw threads in 1830. Henry Maudslay (UK) was credited with inventing the first engine lathe (metal working lathe) in 1797 (although it is well known that woodworking lathes existed prior to this for an indeterminent time and clockmakers were developing metal lathes) and also an improved micrometer in the same year. Johnny Wilkenson (UK)was said to have invented the horizontal boring mill to allow cylinders of steam engine blocks to be bored accurately.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Even with the CNC machinery today, some hand finishing is still required. But rather than using the term "hand made" one should be using the term "hand fitted" or "hand finished". This refers to the era when everything wasn't done by computer. Stamping out parts on the Winchesters and Brownings during the during the 60s are a good example. The period when more parts were made and fit by hand instead of the burnt on checkering that is done today instead of hand checkering and hand engraving. Who wants to pick their engraving from a catalog that is going to be exactly done on thousands of other S&Ws? This is why so many new guns today need to be stoned to get a better trigger. Most of the time you can hear and feel the sound of an older gun tossing out the empties or the sound of the firing pins. Much like the difference of a nice leather basketball as opposed to the sound of a cheap beach ball sound of a cheaper one. It's the difference of closing your eyes and putting an $8,000.00 Ljutic trap gun to your shoulder as compared to a $1500.00 Browning. You can hear and feel the difference. Or some can.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A true handmade gun is liken to an original painting. An RBL would be more like a signed print.
LF

Sidelock
Sidelock

"It's the difference of closing your eyes and putting an $8,000.00 Ljutic trap gun to your shoulder as compared to a $1500.00 Browning. You can hear and feel the difference."

Sorry but I can't hear or feel a $6500 difference.
LF

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can also feel and see the difference when I shoulder my Browning Custom hand-built Superposed compared to a budget Ljutcic...

teee heeeee, sorry couldn't resist that ;-)

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.