May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (bushveld, coosa, Ken Nelson, Bill Davis, j7l2, LGF), 673 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,629
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
GregSY #11403 11/23/06 12:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've given Tom's question some thought. Without being rhetorical or facetious, what I would have S&W do with their name is restore it. Same with Winchester and Remington.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Restore the name.

Actually, that's a great idea. What, in your opinion, would be necessary for that to happen?

Okay. Allow me to suggest that this either has been done, or is in the process. Not sure exactly where each person would put the progression.

As I walked down the line yesterday and saw 80 million dollars worth of new, 7-axis CNC machines turning out guns which are so much better than those being made in the "good old days," it seemed to me the the company, and the name, are back.

The tolerances they now work with are a hundreth of what it used to be. In the old days, if you dinged the side plate of your revolver, you had to send the gun back. None of them were the same, and each required hand fiting -- expensive. Now, they are interchangeable. Pistol barrels are much more accurate -- match grade on all models.

There is a spirit of innovation and quality there that has not been seen in 15 or 20 years. And, they are open to suggestions.

I didn't know what I would find there, but I was quite impressed.

Sandy Froman, president of the NRA, will be there next week. S&W will be doing some big things with the NRA.

One of the things I know they are doing to "restore" the name is getting out of licensing deals for products which should not wear the S&W brand.

They are doing licensing of the brand with select companies -- those who make products compatible with the quality and venue (?) of Smith.

When Tom Taylor, head of sales and marketing, came to S&W from a soft drink company, I was really concerned. I took him aside and talked with him like a Dutch uncle. Since I don't work for them, they can't fire me! I talked about the lawsuits, the damage done by the previous owners and specifically Ed Schultz, the president. I told him that he needs to SHOOT and HUNT a lot. Personally.

To his credit, he has done exactly that. And, he listens to the experienced shooters and hunters on the staff. Of course, they have Jerry Michulek doing demos and product consulting. Julie Golosky, one of the top women shooters, now works in the office at Smith.

The double guns will not be on a par with best guns. Not even with the top Italian or Spanish guns. But, they will, I think, be very nice guns at the price point. Also, I expect to see subtle improvements over the next couple of years -- maybe just offers of high grades -- which may be attractive to traditional doublegun lovers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes S&W wants to restore its name and perhaps make amends for its past sins to gun owners but they are doing something right for the most important people that they need to.Their shareholders.YOY qtr rev's are up a wopping 47% ! Thats amazing and the shareholders are being rewarded as they should be.This is a public company they have one main purpose,make money for the owners-the shareholders.
They may not be making a double that many here would stand in line for but this is much more "seasoned" group then the general gun buying public. I suspect many of the buyers of this double (and I do believe it will be a sucess) will move up to the doubles we here enjoy.Lets not look down our noses at SWHC for creating more double gun enthusiasts who will be buying what we want to sell to buy something even better.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I would think they could have come up with a better name than model 1000-how successful was that one last time out?

I still have mine...

CZ is also made by Huglu in turkey,I have nothing good about them
Jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I really don't like the name so garishly stamped on the barrels. Other than that, it looks like a nice entry level double, similar to a grade 1 uggie, except it's missing a trigger. The scalloped action is a nice touch too.

Last edited by marklart; 11/27/06 12:07 PM.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.