May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, playing hooky, PM, 2 invisible), 1,101 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,510
Posts545,655
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Jimmy W #112243 09/11/08 01:37 PM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Another thing that gets me is watching American Rifleman or a similar show. They had a show which they said the AR-15 was invented because the M-14 would climb to the sky on a full automatic burst and an AR-15 wouldn't. Then watch someone shoot an AR-15 sometime and watch it climb, too.

Jimmy W #112249 09/11/08 01:51 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Explains why I'm 100% brain damaged by the VA.Never try the chin trick with the M-14 different aminals from different worlds. The AR back then would only fire 18 rounds in a mag,poor spring. Total time for a mag to fire less than a second.Strong hand on pistol grip forward hand on top of handguard realy no big deal.Jimmy thats hollywood for you actors that never served.Love watching the hero blink every time they fire a gun Mel Gibson is the worst. He must load the MG with stout blanks for sure to make the guns cycle.Haveing worked FX on a couple flix most MG guns are run on air some on blanks.I remember a few years ago one actor killed another by shooting him in the head with a blank,not toys even in hollywierd.

Jimmy W #112265 09/11/08 03:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

rev, yeah there are people with physical limitations that cause sensitivity to recoil. after neck surgery my father can't handle long recoil auto's altho gas guns and winchester model 50's and 59's aren't a problem. oddly, 3" mag 20's out of a 7# sxs doesn't bother him either. but most people don't shoot so much they suffer from cumulative problems. a box of 30-06's a year because they have to to sight in and no more because it hurts them. that's purely psychological.

the shooters in the olympics or any other serious clays competition, how many hundreds of thousands of rounds have they fired yet they're so un-hampered by it they can stand there and compete successfully at the world level. doesn't seem to be having that much effect on them.

Amigo, you may be thinking of john eric hexum (spelling?) on some show but that was back in the '80's i think. he shot himself w/ a blank out of an m29 S&W IIRC. showing out, playing russian roulette with the harmless gun loaded with blanks. and lost. guns & ammo magazine did a good article back when there were some real gun writers on the damage blanks can do.

roger

rwmckee #112270 09/11/08 03:21 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think your right about the 29,big blank for sure.Time sure goes by fast.

Amigo Will #112281 09/11/08 04:00 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Amigo Will
Probably needed to be there
Yeah Amigo Will, that was a Kodak moment. I haven't taken the time to actually weigh that Stevens Little Scout and calculate the recoil energy and velocity, but assuming it is a mere 1 1/2 ft./lbs., that would be something like tilting your chin back and allowing a (GOOD ?) friend to drop a 24 ounce framing hammer onto it from a height of one foot. I know people who would gladly do that for $5.00 or even a beer, but I prefer to be a spectator to those events. Many of those folks are called Darwin Award Nominees for some reason. In college, I once voluntarily put on some gloves and jumped into a boxing ring with a Golden Gloves champ who had KO'd the NCAA light heavyweight champ a week before. After I staggered him with a good right to the nose, he shook it off and proceeded to give me a boxing lesson I will never forget. I then realized I should get good grades as I would never make a living boxing. Still, after the cuts in my mouth healed, I went back and sparred with him several more times, but I would not voluntarily put that little .22 a 1/4 inch off my chin and pull the trigger having "been there" to see the effects. Maybe some time I'll tell you guys about the time I snuck into the same buddys' bunk room at camp and changed his alarm clock to go off 5 hours early so that he woke at midnite and started dressing and cooking breakfast. I was not rotten enough to also change the time on his watch and allow him to go out into the woods, only to wonder why it was still dark at 9:00 AM, but I'm still lucky he didn't shoot me over that one.

Last edited by keith; 09/11/08 04:07 PM.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #112291 09/11/08 04:37 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

Anyone remember the C.B. Colby books from his grade school library (probably long since quietly removed by the antis)? Really piqued my interest in guns as a kid. I'll never forget the page on the Thompson SMG with a photo of a "rugged Army sargeant" firing one full auto off his chin to show the recruits there was nothing to be afraid of. Nor will I ever forget the closing line of the M-14 entry: "an awesome weapon for the forces of democracy" or some such. If I knew where to find a full set of those books now I'd pay good money for them.

davidm #112315 09/11/08 06:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd guess that traumatic brain injuries to soldiers aren't the result of firing the M-16. Lots of them have come home from Iraq and Afghanistan with those types of injuries, generally caused by proximity to an IED or something else with a very large blast. Depending on the individual and the injury, shooting might be a problem for them.

L. Brown #112377 09/11/08 11:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

i thought i was the only one who remembered c.b. colby books! almost decided i'd imagined them. i read and re-read every one the library i frequented had. just for nostalgia alone i'd likewise not mind a set. one thing i remember was the comments on the m16's round penetrating a car's engine block or shooting end for end thru a car (which is mostly thin sheet metal and empty space) and wondering how anybody could stand the recoil of such a powerful round as that. HAH!

roger

rwmckee #112413 09/12/08 01:30 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think the idea behind the .223 was to wound with a shot and therefore take up extra troops careing for the wounded.The not thinking part was makeing the selector switch so no one recived a single shot but many tiny holes.
I have just in the last month or so read of a new round 458 something for blowing big holes durning close combat for the AR of the week. It appears the goverment has just decovered a new supper round for combat.No joke its basicaly the 45-70 with different case head.I would guess the new 7.62 NATO can't be far behind for these ammo inventing wisards.

Amigo Will #112428 09/12/08 08:12 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Will- If the .458 round you're discussing is the one I'm thinking of, it's been around since 1962. Frank Barnes invented it to duplicate 45/70 ballistics in a short action (722)test rifle. The logic was it could be used in other rifles to accomplish whatever the goal was. Didn't shoot a whole lot of cinder blocks in Viet Nam. At any rate, it became the .458x2" or the .458 American. Seems like I saw one for sale in Alaska. Cheap.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.