May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (PALUNC, Jeremy Pearce, old colonel, Hammergun), 741 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,488
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19
SDH-MT #111016 09/04/08 06:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Steve, would you be so kind as to forward me thr pictures of this rifle ? I am just starting to getthe metal work done & want to use this picture as inspiration. Many thanks, Ken kenhurst@suddenlink.net

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
SDH-MT #111017 09/04/08 06:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven, If I had a time machine I would go back and save the original wood. I even had someone I know digging through his woodpile looking for it without luck.

I like your .22 Low-Wall a lot, nice work and too bad you had to part with it but I'm sure it made another very happy.

I like the Lyman 5A's a lot better than the Winchester A5's which do not seem to hold their zero as well. If you will notice, there is a Niedner modification to the tension screw on the 5A.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, I'll email the pic, but there are better shots of a similar rifle in my Custom Rifles book.

MP I did notice that lever on the rear mount if that's what you mean?
The fellow that bought the .22 has become one of my best friends and we get together to shoot it a couple times per year (just last week!)

Don't know if you got the Accurate Rifle but here's is another Low Wall stocked more in that Sharps style. Unfortuanely I was shooting mostly B&W at the time, but feel lucky that I got any photos at all. this one was in .22 rimfire mag and shot WAY better than I ever expected. (BTW that's only 2 piece I've done from a rifle blank and the worst mis-matched forend to butt I've even done!)

This is one of my all-time favorites and I'll be doing another similar in .17HMR next year

SDH-MT #111033 09/04/08 08:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

For anyone choosing a .25 Krag (good choice), there is the further choice--WHICH .25 Krag? I'm no expert but I can think of 4--plain vanilla, short vanilla, and two Ackleys (plain and short chili????). Bet you there are more. I suppose it depends on what you want to use the rifle for, and how much ooompah your resizer arm has to it.

Since I, as I've said, shoot short and soft, I prefer the .25-35 (drooling over the Sharps shown earlier....). And did I mention I'm cheap and .30-30 cases are still a common range pickup, in spite of the price of scrap brass? My .25-35 is on a Greener Cadet Martini with a Shilen 24" barrel; stockwork by me. Good thing I can't do pix; too embarrassing even if I could.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven, Yes I got TAR, even publish an article or two in it. I have a soft spot for any single shot and the more along the lines of a traditional rifle the more I like it. I like both the Ballard tips and the schnabel that S.R. Griffin liked to do on horn forend tips. I never tire of fine work, rust blue and nice wood, thanks for sharing.

Maybe we could rename this place the the doublegun&single-shotshop like the DGJ has.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, the 25-35 has been absolutely trashed in print, but with Nosler 120 bullets should killed deader than....it sure does in .257R
Michael,
You know how I feel about the DGJ but .... as with you I can't seem to get enough well executed single shots. Seeing the rifles you present actualizes the concepts I have had for years, decades, about how to blend my contemporary concepts with really cool traditional rifles, and they must shoot well to be on any consequence.
Here are a couple more views from AR.

It is hugely important to me that the rifle and guns I craft perform as they should which is why I try to include a range photo with a custom gun. The 22 shown earlier just tips over gophers out to 120 yards.
The guns you've shown were all meant to perform.

SDH-MT #111156 09/05/08 11:27 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the photos. The rifles look absolutely amazing!

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
JayCee #111167 09/05/08 12:03 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemens:

I just stopped in to say something what needs said. Howsomever, this thread has taken a most interesting turn. I feel guilty about hijacking the hijack.

I finally have the Wesson action back in my hot little hands. Looking at it up close and personal is something of a reality check. Look again at the picture of the pig and all the detail. In the real world that pig is only 1" tall from foot to the top of his head! It is impossible to appreciate just how fine the detail is until you hold the action in your hand. The flip side is perhaps even more astounding. There is a bright cut on the eyes of the meerkats that actually makes the eye appear three dimensional. The thing doesn't just have eyes, it has eyes that are actually looking at something.

This work is, without question, as fine as I have ever seen. And not just the representational art. The scroll work scaled down to its real size is fine and graceful, wonderfully designed and executed. I really cannot say too much about the quality of this work. If this is not Mr. Hurst's opus, I am not sure I wish to gaze upon the real thing.

I am humbled to have this engraving on my metalwork.

Respectfully,

Glenn Fewless

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm going to jump in here and add my two cents worth also.

I was with Glenn yesterday when he picked up the Wesson at Classic Guns (John Gillette). John had just finished color casing the action and it looked wonderful. John is fully aware that Glenn plans to french gray the action to show off the engraving but the colors looked awesome anyway. French gray will really show off the engraving.

As Glenn says, the engravng that Ken did on the gun is spectacular. Art work in steel is the phrase that comes to my mind. I would only hope that everyone will have a chance to see the rifle someday in person.

Ken has promised to engrave a Winchester low wall for me in the near future and all I can hope for is something even close to what I saw on Glenn's gun.

BTW Ken, if you read this I'm kind've thinking that a Vulture on one side and a Condor on the other would like pretty cool.

Doug Mann
Doug Mann #111173 09/05/08 12:43 PM
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

hello Glenn nice gun. nice engraving.always remember the only thing required of anyone on the BB is a computer.a person can sit in there mothers basement an spu nothing but crap. someone responds and they are fulfilled. sad but true.( how did speedy do shooting with you guys at raton)Doug i think your ideas are great Mark Cooper

Last edited by mc; 09/05/08 12:44 PM.
Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.