May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jtplumb, gil russell, CJF, Jimmy W, Kip, SKB), 1,025 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,519
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
King Brown #11142 11/21/06 12:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a rough experience this morning with my 11 yr old Lab, Suwannee. Five of us lined the bank of a small pond. One of the hunters was another club-member's son-in-law, I'd never hunted with before.

Usually, I keep Suwannee close by because he won't obey anybody but me, but this morning he followed the others. Before I could get him back under control, someone shot (too) early and Suwannee broke to retrieve. In the poor light, the other guy's son-in-law mistook the dog for a crippled duck and shot him.

I heard the dog squeal and went to see what happened. Suwannee did't seem too upset over the incident and went on to retrieve some more ducks. We picked up 9 woodies, 2 gadwalls, and 2 blue wing teal.

No bad damage done (luckily), but like Dick Cheney's Lawyer, Suwannee got 4 pellets in the side of the face. My vet prescribed some antibiotic and said no bad damage done and to leave the shot in.

The guy's son-in-law was so broken up by the inexcusable "accident", I couldn't work up much of a rage this morning, but now I'm getting madder and madder. My two sons on the other hand were ready to jump the guy right then. I've been with hot-headed quail guides who'd probably have whipped the guy's butt in a similar situation.

Sorry for the bummer post, but I just needed to vent a bit...Geo

jas Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hear about you dog, a good dog is the best and most dependable friend you'll ever have.

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen: I'm not criticizing George's decision to continue hunting. I would observe, however, that ANY shot dog deserves immediate vet attention. What may appear to be minor or superficial wounds could represent something much more serious: a collapsed lung, internal bleeding, migration to a life-threatening location (Cheney's buddy had a pellet migrate to his heart which caused a heart rhythm abnormality)
More evidence that the life of your dog depends on who you choose to hunt with.

Last edited by revdocdrew; 11/21/06 12:54 PM.
jas #11150 11/21/06 01:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Next time use Rent-a-Dog. No stink, hair, barking, or sniffing guest's crotches. DOG = ball and chain if you want to take a vacation.

jas #11152 11/21/06 01:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, I was thinking of you after the hunt this morning because this one seemed an aberration and hardly made sense and I wondered if I didn't learn something that may help with anchoring those elusive quails out there.

Ordinarily I shoot 2 3/4 shells with No. 4 or 5 TM or bismuth shot, 12ga, 16 and 20. This morning it was three-inch 20 gauge---yes, yes, I know---with 1 1/8-ounce Kent TM Impact No. 3 shot.

The SKB is light, with 26-inch barrels and I wondered if No. 3 might be the ticket for those quick, long shots among the boulders. I chose No. 3 for the third time in my life because it has been surprising me.

King Brown #11156 11/21/06 01:55 PM
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

George,
'really sorry to hear that your dog was hurt. You did the right thing in not jumping the guy, IMO. It wasn't something the guy did intentionally. Although the guy did an ignorant, stupid thing. It can't be taken back, but it sounds like he'll remember this forever and likely not make the same foolish error in shooting before he ID's his target.

Jag,
I always thought the same thing. Now I can't understand why I didn't do this sooner. I just came back from vacation. My good friend from airplanes, horses, and hunting (and the dark years of drinking) took my pup for 1 1/2 weeks and loved having her. I trust him with my life and now my pup.

King,
I think the biggest problem in hunting my quail spot is being quick enough to get a shot off before they disappear behind a bush or over the hillcrest. Range is usually not a big factor, but a full or mod choked second barrel has helped on occasion.

Chuck H #11161 11/21/06 02:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard not to like a big fat Lab.

jack

rabbit #11183 11/21/06 04:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Regarding my previous ranting post; after a nice message from Kingsley Brown and further consideration of the incident, I'm really not so mad at the other guy so much as at the situation itself. What I'm really mad about is that an animal I love like one of my own children was needlessly hurt doing what he lives for.

There are a couple of lessons to be learned from this besides the obvious one. Like keep your dog under control. A labrador running out of control is not only a menace to society, but is likely to get his big ole fat self shot. By accident or sometimes on purpose. Also, there is a good reason to observe "legal shooting hours". If it's too dark to tell a dog from a duck it's too early to shoot. I didn't shoot the early woodie this morning, but I've been guilty of it before.

As for Suwannee, he says he's getting a little sore around the face this afternoon, but the antibiotic should prevent infection and nothing interferes with his appetite...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

George,

You're a better man than I am because I'd have beaten the crap out of the guy. As far as I am concerned you still could. There is no excuse for stupid. That was no accident it was stupidity. Sorry about your dog.

Bill G.

jas #11654 11/25/06 01:52 AM
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

'was out today with her again. She really is coming around. For being from Illinois, she seems comfortable on these Calif 'razorbacks'. The north side of these razorback hills has scrub oak and juniper attached to the 60 degree slopes and this is where the quail love to ground roost. The side of the hill is scented up pretty good and Jas was going wild. The pic of me and her on the side of the hill is the south side with nearly no cover compared to the north side

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.