March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#109037 08/25/08 08:52 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Esthetics aside, why would a "Ghost Ring" peep rear sight not be effective , for close in (100 yds or less) work on a double rifle?

I see a few doubles set up with a peep of some kind, but very few. The only rifles I shoot are doubles, and I find properly made express sights (which plenty of doubles don't have) to be faster on game, especially if it's moving, and more precise. Expresses also perform much better in low light.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Sidelock
Sidelock

I see no reason that it would not work. It all depends on the size of the aperture, but otherwise, what's not to like.

I believe a Remington roughrider sight is quite a bit like what you are thinking of. I can't seem to find a picture of one to show you but it is essentially what you are talking about.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks! I shoot big bore single shots a lot, Sharps mostly. I use both peep and expess sights (kinda) on the 45/70 and 50/110. I am thinking about getting an SPR22 to fool with. Busting rocks and elk in heavy timber would be the prime uses...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot exclusively single shots except for one double rifle. All but the double are equipped with tang sights and apertures so I know where you are coming from. It will work. I think.

I have seen one German double rifle or drilling that had a pop-up rear aperture in the tang that was just so slick I almost bought the rifle to play with the sight. It was the cat's meow so far as I'm concerned but damned if I could tell you where to find a sight like that, much less how to make one.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

A peep is a great sight on any gun! The issue with a SxS rifle is how to get the rear aperture close enough to your eye. The slickest set up I've seen is on one of Clair Kofoed's drillings.
He had a little flip up aperture put in in place of the top lever screw head. I have a picture some where and will try to dig up.

As for the German guns with the flip up apertures...they are NOT peep sights they are designed to let you see the actual fixed sights better by increasing the depth of field that your eye can see. Keep in mind the elaborate Euro guns were designed for old eyes! (The old guys with all the cash to afford those funky guns!)

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
Dave Weber #111116 09/05/08 07:29 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks! I have a "ghost ring" on a Marlin 45/70 on the receiver, not the tang. It seems to work pretty well on short to medium ranges. Sights on the Sharpsies are tang. I have an SPR22 ordered, gonna mess with a restock and sights and see what kinda mess I can make of it.....Where the boys and I take our elk, shots are seldom over 40 yards. Should be fun....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, the aperture attached as a new top lever screw was originally discussed by Oscar Gaddy on the old board, I think back in 2000 or 2001. Then, Clair Kofoed put up some specs and photos of the sight, I think on one of his drillings. It was an excellent post. I copied it but can't find it. Might it be archived? It would be well worth bringing it back. If not, perhaps Clair could bring it back. Mike Hensley

Sidelock
Sidelock

A proper peep is good for most any range.As a Marine they worked fine out to five hundred yards on the range for all of our service rifles.

Amigo Will #115206 10/01/08 09:20 PM
JAZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Holland .500 BPE with a Lyman peep installed in 1903, as indicated on their ledger page. I have seen them installed on several English doubles but my favorite is the peep on the top lever spindle. I saw a Purdey with this type but had assumed it was an older installation. Could this be the one designed by Oscar?? As my eyes are not getting any better, the peep really does help.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.