May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (Hoot4570, AGS, idahobob, bigblock, 2 invisible), 666 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,411
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When the hungry zombies want some of your good stuff, will you be reaching for that 100 year old damascus gun - or something a little more convincing.
If so, what?

Way too much electric lettuce Lowell Thomas

Sidelock
Sidelock

S&W 44 Mag, Lowell...... Although I could grab the Flues with the extra full 32" barrels, and a brace of 4s.... Grant.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good question Lowell, I always figured that my 12 gauge 870 loaded with black powder loads of buckshot might be pretty convincing. The KABOOM you get with BP is alot more convincing then the puny (in comparison) crack you get with nitro, not to mention the fire and brimstone that goes with it.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Charlie Cutshaw (decorated 'Nam Vet and LE officer in 'Bama) writes some good stuff in GUN DIGEST on home defense scenarios: besides your choice of weaponry keep a charged cell phone (some perps will cut phone lines prior to their B&E manuevers) a Sure-Lite, survival style knife, and a set of house keys on a blaze orange marker (to toss out for the police, if and when they arive- let them enter and do the house clearing- you (and yours) stay in a safe room, with the 12 gauge riot pump loaded with buckshot-pointed at the doorway (aka- the tunnel of Death- let the bad guy(s) come to you, even though you know the house inside and out- and in the dark dead of night- if a bright inside light goes on somehow- it is blinding to your eyes accustomed to the dark- another reason why I prefer the sure thing of a riot pump shotgun- cops use 'em- "tunnel rats" used them for a "front door knocker" in Vietnam- I also sleep with a Combat Commander under my pillow-when there are no grandkids staying over-and sleeping with one eye open and doing a perimeter check after Letterman is second nature to me-I figure it this way- anyone attempting a B&E during the night ain't there to sell Girl Scout Cookies-and I assume they are armed, dangerous and have the intent to do me or my family a VSF!!

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/25/08 08:40 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rockdoc has a very good point about the black powder in the pump gun. If you are absolutely sure you have a perp on the premisis, how about four or five black powder blanks, fired in quick succession, then reload with the real thing. I doubt that any perp will stay around after five black powder blanks are fired inside the house.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In Texas if someone died or has been murdered in your house and you know about it you must disclose it when you sell the house as it may negatively affect the value of the house. Eightbore's idea preserves the resale value of the house. And there is no telling what diseases the drug addicted home raider has. It would scare me to clean the blood and guts off of the walls, floors, ceilings, rugs. I would be worrying about Hepatitis C and AIDS the whole time. Of course spackling, texturing, and painting the holes in the walls is also avoided.

The down side is that some scum bag gets away without a scratch on him.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 07/24/08 10:50 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

8-bore- good in theory- but in reality- first, firing that many loud BP blank loads is a lot of noise and blast in a confined area (your home) and perhaps you are right- it could scare off someone who was inside- or-they could take cover and wait. jump you while you are reloading with the real thing- or go next door and prey upon your neighbors--my current next door neighbor is a "Statie" who works undercover- tracking bad guy bail jumpers and "most wanted" bad bad dudes- he carries a Glock- once asked him about the "shoot to wound" vs. "shoot to kill" theories- his words- "We are trained that if we pull our weapon and shoot- it is strictly shoot to kill- if we do otherwise we can be cited and even discharged from duty"!!The times have changed, drugs are prevelant- value of human life-tougher economic times for many-and you have carte blanche to do what you want to defend your home of course. If a perp is running out of my garage with my weed whacker- I'm not gonna shoot-how do you prove self defense as a civilian when you shoot someone in the back as they are fleeing? But let some drug-crazed zombie physically break into my home and invade my sanctuary- Mr. I shoot to kill-and on shotguns, this same neighbor "Statie" told me they only use 2 & 3/4" 00 buck loads- not 3" (even if your pump is so chambered) as their armorers feel the extra 1/4" OAL can give a "weight-forward" tilt to a 3" round and cause a possible jam or double feed- and that at shotgun range- a 2 & 3/4" inch shell has enough stopping power-I hope and pray that the bad guys never invade, but if the "Fit Hits Da Shan" I know what I am trained and prepared to do-no reservations!! RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/25/08 08:44 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

There's another down side to blanks. Perp confronts you and you have 4 or 5 blanks...he has real bullets...you loose. If you're gonna play with guns, play to win (stay alive in this case). But I do think about Mikey's concerns. I'm not sure I'd want to live in a house I'd shot someone in, but maybe it wouldn't bother me if it was a justified shooting. 'hope not to find out.

Lowell, it'll be one of my 1911 guns, a couple of 70 series Gold Cups are in my arsenal as well as a comp gun. Shotguns are unwieldly in the close quarters of a house. A sxs has but two shots, a damascus one won't impress either the perp or the police. Rifles are better suited as offensive weapons for attacking a fortification in the context of this discussion. I did a little 'practical pistol' shooting long ago. I think the pistol is an efficient weapon, handled correctly. Again, 'hope never to have to find out about any of this.

The Torrance Police Dept blocked off the streets leading into Torrance during the last riots in L.A. I expect they'll do the same during the next mass unrest. I'm sufficiently buried back inside the city, away from the 'bad' borders that probabilities are in my favor. I do keep a revolver close by in the bedroom, but I don't sleep with a 1911 under my pillow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note to my friends here: post-apocalypse flesh eating Zombies are not scared of loud noises. You can check this fact on any of the Tactical Mall Ninja bbs's.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.