March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (bavarianbrit), 620 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,339
Posts543,406
Members14,386
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

12 ga. Otto Geyger shotgun. Can anyone point to who made this action?

GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a Charles Daly to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It appears to be a boxlock with top and bottom sears as found on J. P, Sauer & Sohn model XIV. Is there a double S stamp on the watertable? Sauer would be my guess.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Jerry Mouer has nailed it. It looks to be a rounded action, not the flat top and could also be a Model 17(most likely) or 18(chopperlump-Meisterwerk and usually has gold inlay) with the overhanging and lower intercepting(Schnitt-from cutway) scears. I'm curious if "Special-Gewehr-Lauf-Stahl" is on the the tubes. O.(Oscar/Otto?) Geyger peddled longarms mainly by Oskar Merkel(with the typical Merkel frame which this one doesn't have) of Suhl but also included some Johann Paul Sauer weapons such as longarms and the Behorden Model 7,65 Calibre pistol, which along with a typewritter can be seen in a circa 1935 O.(Otto/Oscar?) Geyger advertisment. Sauer was taking it on the chin in the 1920s and early 1930s and closed their Berlin office and O. Geyger became the sole agent. Oscar Geyger began circa 1890(moved around 1900) and held the power of attorney for N.v. Dreyse weapons company, Oscar Geyger & Company.

Any chance of getting a pic of the watertable & flats?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 07/17/08 09:53 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wish I had a camera that could focus down that close. The barrels have a lone letter "s" just forward of the flats, as well as the 3 digit serial number. The water table has only proofs, a 3 digit serial number, and gauge listed. The outside of the barrels has only "O.Geyger, Berlin" and the word "Nitro".

The gun has 2 ivory beads, an articulated front trigger, and a proof mark on the stock, a letter "S" with what appears to be an upside down chevron (pointing up) over it, just forward of the rear sling swivel.

One more thing, ... I have seen cased guns that said "Otto Geyger" not Oscar on the case label. Were there 2 different Geyger firms operating ?

GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Peter:

How about a "S" with another "S" slightly above and overstamped w/ a "U" overstamped(Sauer and Sauer or Sauer & Sohn)? Just glancing at the Berlin addresses, it is either father and son or a misspelling(my vote is for father & son). I've seen mostly "O. Geyger" after 1900 and the "O." wasn't spelled out. But the O. Geyger Company in Berlin was the retailer that peddled Sauer's products as well as Oskar Merkel's.
So there's not a date stamp and the gauge designation is in a circle?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would suggest that the S on the barrels, if in a cartouche, is the mark of Schilling. He was a renowned barrel maker in Suhl.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gauge designation is in a circle. No date stamp.

GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw a nice 12 ga. Sauer und Sohn (Suhl) boxlock ejectorof the side-by this past week in a small town gun shop- pre-War with the cocking indicators on the sides receiver- about where the reionforcing "bosses" might be- it had a cheekpiece buttstock with recoil pad- believe 28" Krupp barrels- and those darned sling swivels the European doubles often have-nice looking gun, another gent was looking at it- are those style of cocking indicators still in use today on German/Austrian double guns??

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF:

I guess if you have someone carry your longarm from you to shoot then you wouldn't need the swivels. When hunting I consider the sling, i.e. sling swivels, a necessity. But the cocking indicators didn't last too much past WWII. Sauer had planned to introduce a pop-out indicator at the 1937 German Hunting Exhibition, but pre-WWII examples haven't surfaced. But MEWA and Thalmann as well as Sauer Eckernford doubles did take advantage of the technology on post WWII models. Regarding the "clock-hand" indicators on doubles, I don't think they were used post WWI and with the drillings using a "clock-hand" indicator, or other cocking indicator, up to and possibly thru the mid 1930s.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.