May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (RWG, Der Ami, susjwp, Jeremy Pearce, KY Jon, 1 invisible), 454 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,536
Posts546,008
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

So many words about the simplist thing we gunners do.

If I'm handling someone else's gun, I'll do as the owner requests or not handle it.

But seriously, the method is way down the list of effect on the gun from other things such as cleaning and lube frequency, as long as it isn't bashed around.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the greatest wear on the bolt and lug occurs when the gun is opened--not closed. Seems to me that as the bolt is retracted the barrel weight is putting upward pressure on the lug and the retracting bolt rubs the bolt the entire length. This would seem to create maximum friction on the wear surfaces. When shooting clays with a vintage gun I try to keep the barrels pressed against the action till I've completely retracted the bolt. Of course I never even think of this stuff when hunting. Does it make any difference? I don't know but it makes me feel I'm doing something to preserve the gun....that's enough.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

In support of Joe Wood's view, have noname Brit boxlock which is "hard" opening in that the lever on the spindle will not completley retract the Greener topbolt from the extension unless opposing pressure is placed on wrist and forend (holding the gun firmly closed). Doing so reduces friction just enuf to allow the worn lever-end to accomplish its job.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess we fight over things like this because we need to memorize and practice and comprehend all of these small but extremely significant gestures and actions. For all it takes is a slight squeeze of an index finger and you can change someone's life forever.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I've followed the snap-it-shut-firmly line, to avoid dynamic hammering from a partial lockup. Someone at the gun club told my son off for closing our Beretta too hard, though, and I listened to his point.

Later, however, I saw this guy waving my late father's SLE AyA back and forth with the fore end off, checking for wear. What a ... liberty, as Catherine Tate would say. Surely this borders on unnecessary abuse, too. The gun was not for sale and any wear was none of his business.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Paul,
There's always someone out there willing to come over and give you their opinion, regardless of whether you want it. The gun ranges seem to have their share, shotgun ranges less than pistol ranges though.

I've noted that for some reason the boldest of these characters is often older believes giving his opinion to a younger person is his god given right, regardless if he knows them or knows the younger person's depth of knowledge. Their presumption must be that since they're older, they must know more than someone younger. It's often laughable, but sometimes maddening, and always irritating. I've had more than one come up and pick up one of my nicer guns and start messing with it without asking or knowing me. I've been on the recieving end of this a number of times.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck-agree 100% Nash Buckingham carried his doubles that way- broken open until ready to shoot- and at least His Becker(s)came w/o a safety- ditto a few older Live Pigeon doubles I have seen, and almost every single trap too- Only safety on a gun you can EVER trust is the one up between your ears- anything mechanical is subject to the "Murphy's Laws" theory- and when a sear slips and a gun mis-fires-it ain't never a good day!! RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/11/08 01:24 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

And in the spirit brotherhood amongst fellow gunners, maybe we can find something else amigo- one of my sisters lives in Dover-just outside the big AFB complex- was out there 4 years ago building a handicapped accessible ramp for her house/office complex- she is a CPA and State Code requires that for entrance/egress- great seafood-went to the Dover Racetrack (no more ponies)but compared to where I live in rural Midwest (on a river and adjacent to a private lake with great waterfowling in my backyard) too crowded for a long term stay for this "Ol long haired country boy I guess" I like snything Old Jim C ever wrote or sang-great stuff-major talent!!

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/11/08 01:25 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We have an unwritten rule- you never ever pick up a stranger's gun from the rack- whether on the clays side-or over on the rifle and pistol range- w/o first asking permission-and getting it- and you could hand me your pre-64 M70 (my first love in rifles) with the bolt closed and the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and tell me "Fox, it's unloaded" and- I will open the bolt and check for myself-and that means my "pinky" finger goes into the chamber and it had best feel "air"-I've seen cases on the rifle range where a round was missed by the extractor- even on the Mauser style bolts such as the older M70-also a round can stick in the magazine tube of a pump or semi-autoloader-gun safety means "Never Ever take anything for granted" and courtesy towards the other fellow (or group) and the dogs- We hunt fezzants on a nice preserve and the lady who owns the place also handles the dogs- unless you have your own-she is a friend-wears more blaze orange than you see in a Cabela's- ditto the collar and safety vest for her Setter- in the 10 years she has run this preserve she has had two dogs shot by the "Dick Cheney" school of gunners- one died- the other never could hunt again-and it goes w/o saying that the trigger happy idiots who caused that trauma to God's best gift to man- were banned forever from that place.

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/11/08 01:26 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF,
That "unwritten rule" was or should have been the teachings of parents to every kid...'don't mess with other people's property'.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.