May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jusanothajoe, 67galaxie, 12boreman, cpa, 2 invisible), 278 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,017
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jack maloney
BTW - as a state-certified firearm safety instructor, I first noticed students using the 'muzzle toward the ground' carry after Desert Storm, when returning vets, trained on military weaponry, brought the practice with them.

That carry works with a pistol-gripped assault weapon - especially when your next target is likely to be on the ground ahead of you. But in the civilian hunting field it is dangerous, especially around gun dogs, and it took some re-education to get those muzzles up in the air where they belong!

Jack,
It has nothing to do with "pistol gripped assult weapons" in that case. With a rifle an accidental discharge with the rifle muzzle in an elevated position the bullet could travel for miles! I know of ranges where if they catch you closing the bolt on a rifle with the muzzle elevated you MIGHT get ONE warning then you will be asked to leave.

I was taught you had to be extra careful carrying a gun muzzle up because if you stumble or fall it's hard to control the muzzle.

BTW I am a certified 4-H rifle instructor, the training I received from 4-H made me eligible to be an NRA certified instructor.

Sam

Originally Posted By: ohiosam
I know of ranges where if they catch you closing the bolt on a rifle with the muzzle elevated you MIGHT get ONE warning then you will be asked to leave.

What do they do if they catch you closing the bolt on a rifle with the muzzle pointed at the ground? At safe ranges, we close the bolt with the muzzle pointed downrange, not at our feet!

But we're talking about a loaded shotgun pointed toward the ground; it is a hazard to gun dogs as well as to hunters. A loaded shotgun pointed upward is a hazard only to birds.

If you are teaching your 4-H students to carry a loaded shotgun muzzle down in the field, I think you are dangerously mistaken.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

What do they do if they catch you closing the bolt on a rifle with the muzzle pointed at the ground? At safe ranges, we close the bolt with the muzzle pointed downrange, not at our feet!

I have never advocated pointing a gun at feet or anything else that is unsafe. You said "get those muzzles up in the air where they belong!"
And I have never heard a warning about pointing a gun at the ground at any range of any type, shotgun, rifle, indoor or outdoor.

But we're talking about a loaded shotgun pointed toward the ground;

You were the one that brought up rifles.

it is a hazard to gun dogs as well as to hunters. A loaded shotgun pointed upward is a hazard only to birds.

Unless you happen to trip and fall and then where is the muzzle pointed?

If you are teaching your 4-H students to carry a loaded shotgun muzzle down in the field, I think you are dangerously mistaken.

Well actually I'm the rifle instructor but the shotgun instructors feel the same way I do. There are time when muzzle up is the safest and times muzzle down is the safest. But neither method is best all the time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I get the sideplate off a Smith by tapping on the grip frame; I get the sideplate off a Dan Wesson by removing the screws and lifting it off. I close my double shotguns [with the exception of the Charlin] by allowing spring assist to shoot the bolt. [I] "don't pull on Superman's cape. Don't spit in the wind. Don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger and don't mess around with Jim."

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah= too bad the 'Jim' of that great song, Jim Croce is no longer with us-love his earthy stuff-he also did a bluesy-jazz song entitled "New York Is Not My Home"- a great song indeed!

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/11/08 01:10 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

On that we agree, RF.

Originally Posted By: ohiosam

Well actually I'm the rifle instructor but the shotgun instructors feel the same way I do.

I assume these people don't hunt with dogs. Hunting muzzle down with a loaded gun when dogs are out in front is stupid and dangerous. I shudder to think that any gun safety instructors could teach irresponsible cr@p like that to young hunters.

Any moron who hunted muzzle down when my dog was quartering in front of him would get a quick and unforgettable lesson about gun safety!

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
"I get the sideplate off a Smith by tapping on the grip frame"

That's the way I've always done it too. However; I watched the S&W factory gunsmiths lever the sideplate off multiple revolvers including mine while I was sitting there watching them. Again; when I asked why they told me "Tapping takes too much time".
The whole point of this thread at least to me is what constitutes unecessary "abuse" to a firearm and takes me back to my original reason why I try to treat my older classics somewhat gently. Most are 75 to 100 years old with steel of varying quality and spare parts are difficult to obtain. Why then subject them to unecessary stress?
Ya wouldn't toss your grannie into the ring to take on Hulk Hogan would ya?
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 07/07/08 08:13 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Quote:
Why then subject them to unecessary stress?

That's what your've doing when you ride the lever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe:
Hopefully we can agree to disagree here. What you've stated above goes against what I believe is correct from a metalurigical perspective. I hope your own guns survive and you can continue to use them for many years to come.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.