April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Stanton Hillis, ithaca1, PALUNC, battle), 881 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,829
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chokes and patterns are a very fluid thing. Hard shot tightens up a pattern, larger shot can as well. Higher velocity has a general opening effect by one of my doubles got better the faster the load until about 1275fps, at which point I stopped because recoil was not very pleasant. Ten different loads might give you patterns from one end of the spectrum to the other. Test to find out for sure.

When lead shot was OK for ducks and geese I loaded and tested a lot of buffered and non buffered loads and found a lot of great loads to use. None of them much use these days but one thing I took away from it was that inside 25 yards I could kill any geese or duck with a Skeet gun with almost certainty with the right load. A combination of I/C or Skeet and Full would be a very versatile double on the marsh. In fact my first duck gun was a 28 Ga. Model 12 with a tight Skeet choke. I killed just over 50% of the ducks I shot with it the first year. All with a 1 ounce load of number 6's out of a blind on our creek. Most shots were 20 yards and I had eyes of youth and reflexes of a young teenager. At least I still have the gun. smile

To assume any set number of constrictions will give you a certain pattern is just useless to me. If you want to know shoot patterns. Change loads and see what happens. You might find a load that you love or find it makes very little difference. I do know some loads which looked great on paper never killed game in they way I expected. I figured it was either operator error or the shot string was very long and a large part of the pattern missed the target. More likely operator error.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
... And Geo., please don't go down that road called "Choke Is Obsolete". grin SRH

Don't worry about me Stan, I won't go over to the dark side. Choke is required for turkeys, waterfowl, and latter season doves. I use it. 1st season doves, bobwhite quail and practically everything else I shoot at, not so much...Geo

If I lived out West it would be a different story.

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 07/11/16 08:19 PM. Reason: added last sentence
Sidelock
Sidelock

Isn't it also true that guns were tighter choked years ago as marked since they were using ammo before the invention of the plastic shot cup/wad. So an older gun marked Mod. with modern ammo with a plastic wad will pattern closer to a modern full choked gun

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Woody402
Isn't it also true that guns were tighter choked years ago as marked since they were using ammo before the invention of the plastic shot cup/wad. So an older gun marked Mod. with modern ammo with a plastic wad will pattern closer to a modern full choked gun

Usually so, yes.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

While I shoot 16 ga cylinder and .005 over a dog at preserve shooting on wild upland birds its .005 & .010, for duck .015 & .025

Geo while I am sympathetic to more open chokes After going a season of cylinder cylinder I found for me it did not work.

While I agree that many go overchoking I think the other extreme is misguided for most. At both end of the spectrum there will be shooters who do well, but most need a middle path.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cylinder is very useful for a lot of upland hunting over good dogs. Quail as well as grouse and woodcock (you may need more for late season grouse) come to mind. First barrel for pheasants . . . Dave, I agree that you don't need much choke--again, with good dogs--unless you're hunting birds that are unusually spooky. Cylinder is likely OK even for prairie grouse, early in the season. Later, when they're mostly in big bunches and hard to approach, you do need more.

Cylinder won't do everything, for sure, but it will do a lot. The late Bob Brister was clearly a fan: " . . . I do know that at 25 yards, a pure-cylinder barrel will throw one of the deadliest game-getting patterns you ever looked at, more efficient at that yardage than a full-choke barrel at 50 yards."

Re Lord Ripon, back in his day, driven birds were not long-range targets. (Nor are they today, unless you go to one of the places that specializes in ultra-high birds.) I had the pleasure of shooting driven next to a gentleman who was a very fine shot. He was shooting a long-barreled OU (more and more common these days on driven shoots). I asked him what chokes he was using. "Hardly any," he replied. Where I've shot driven, a 40 yard bird is unusually high, and you're a real hero if you make many of those shots. Most birds are well within 30 yards. They're challenging for most of us on this side of the pond (maybe less so for guys who do more dove and/or waterfowl shooting) because we're not used to that kind of shooting at pheasants. And the red grouse of Scotland and northern England are, in general, even lower. They're difficult for reasons other than range.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

When that rich relative, that I know nothing about, passes and leaves me "comfortable" I'm going to do the driven grouse deal, Larry. Until then, it's just a dream. But, I haven't given up hope.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the thing to know about cyl choke is that it usually shoots really good patterns, but the shot disperses quickly. You need to have the experience to judge the effective range of the gun you are shooting. Beyond its effective range cyl bore becomes an unsportsmanlike game wounding proposition..Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ya, in my case I'll use this 12 gauge Cyl/IC shotgun for early pheasants and ruffed grouse. I've got pointing dogs taught by the school of wild birds, so the vast majority of these shots are under 30 yards, and mostly under 25. I can't imagine a better choke than Cylinder for these shots. I've had MORE trouble lately missing close birds because I don't want to ruin them, and then miss the head shot, or ride them out which isn't always a good option in heavy cover. Fortunately, like any good boy scout I have another 5 upland shotguns to fall back on if I need more choke.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Erickson
I've been patterning a 12 ga. cylinder barrel lately and here's 1 1/8 oz. of 6's at 25 yards (30" circle). I'm pretty sure I could get a few more yards of killing out of it on pheasants, and a bird taken at 15-20 yards with it will be nailed pretty hard. I've never had a gun with a straight cylinder first barrel and I'm liking what I see. I do hunt with pointing dogs.

Dave-

How often do you have to replace the garage door?

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.