May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (MattH, Jtplumb, Birdog, Argo44, 1 invisible), 232 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,028
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#101190 07/05/08 12:48 PM
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, curious to know how you all close a SxS (loaded not on empty chambers)?

I've heard that you should ride the opening lever over, then push it until it locks. I've also heard that you close the bbls by snaping them shut.

I've always rode the lever over.

Your thoughts please.

All the best!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

This was addressed here in great length before, however no one seemed to use my method. As I hunt in mostly heavy brush I just whack it closed on the nearest sapling. Hope this helps.

NRA Life Member 1969
OGCA
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Pinduck, I didn't know there was a discussion on this. Do you or anyone else have a link? That way we won't have to hash over old news.

Thanks again!!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret

Keep your fingers out of the gap between action and barrels. Other than that, just snap the damn thing shut and don't worry about it.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I firmly believe my sxs guns should be closed by hand! Other methods using trees, car doors, dogs and other animals seem to have side effects.

Lets see if I can recall all the ways posted from the last time this came up.
Slowly close while holding the lever over, then release lever
snap it shut but nicely
slowly close without holding lever over
raise the butt while holding the lever over
raise the butt without holding the lever over

But, seriously...a sxs should be closed as the owner sees fit. It's his gun, and if he wants to operate it a certain way, I have no issues with that as long as it doesn't get pointed at me, my family, my dog, or my friends.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was taught the following way by a yeoman Worcestershire farmer sadly gone before us. It's a safety related thing but mechanically correct too. I say taught but it was more enforcement; any safety transgression was punished mercilessly.

Drop the gun open so that the barrels are pointed at the ground in front of you; take a couple of cartridges out of your pocket and drop them in; then smartly raise the stock and action to meet the barrels, not t'other way round. You now have a choice as to which way you hold the gun ... up to you and circumstances.

No need to twiddle with the top lever, a smart closure ensures a tight lock up.

Eug

Last edited by eugene molloy; 07/05/08 01:40 PM.

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you would be inspecting a potential purchase of a nice double at a gun show, I would recommend one of Chuck's suggestions: "Slowly close while holding the lever over, then release lever".

Otherwise you may receive some un-complimentary remarks in additional to several dirty looks by bystanders.

Same if you were looking at a friends gun.

If your gun, I guess whatever method you want.

Respectfully, Jolly.

Just for curiosity, I checked four British gun authors - Gough Thomas, Burrard, Churchill and Tucker. Couldn't find anything said about how to close a SxS - suggesting that perhaps the question isn't worth comment, and the shooter is free to use whatever method he prefers, so long as it doesn't endanger anyone or obviously abuse the mechanism. The Brits who made them referred to most SxSs as 'snap' actions, referring to the act of closing them...could that be a hint?

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check Paul A. Curtis 1934 Guns and Gunning page 379-380 I think- I agree with the hold the lever and ease it closed until you have purchased the gun- main reason why so many dealers at gun shows want you to ask before you handle a weapon they have for sale- RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/11/08 01:06 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

In many cases we're dealing with 100 year old plus guns here. If it's yours and you want to continuously snap it shut so be it but keep your hands off my guns. I don't slam the doors shut on classic cars either.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.