May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (trw999, Marks_21, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,064 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,550
Members14,416
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

With all respect I ask why do some look for sub 6 pound shotguns? to some they act like they seek the Holy Grail. Unless handicaped or a one armed shooter where gun weight is a big consideration are not such guns much too light and hard to control except for poking and hope shooting? While some shots are so in heavy cover it seems those who buy such light guns go for expensive ones that are unlikely to see ehavy cover where gun might get scratched or damged when you trip on a branch or rock, or barrels bent or dented in because they are so light. What am I missing? Do we read so much bs on light guns in the magazines that we are brainwashed and do not think on our own? Opinions? CB

Sidelock
Sidelock

CB if everyone had the same likes and dislikes it would be a very boring world. Some like blonds some like redheads, some like Chevys some like Fords. To each their own.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just because you do not have the skill required to properly handle fly-weight rifles and shotguns, do not assume the rest of us lack such skill.

Written by one very un-brainwashed person who has not been reading BS and who thinks on his own

skunk out

Originally Posted By: cherry bomb
..it seems those who buy such light guns go for expensive ones that are unlikely to see heavy cover where gun might get scratched or damaged

For this hunter, a gun you can't carry afield is just a trophy. My 5lb.14oz SxS goes into the heaviest grouse and woodcock cover without hesitation. The advantages of the small guns - easy day-long carry, quick mounting and pointing - should be obvious to any grouse hunter.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last winter I found a nice little 20 gauge Jeffery. Weighs 5 1/4 pounds. Yes there has been a learning curve in learning to shoot it after years of shooting 7lb guns but I think I'll be ready this fall.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr. Marc no need to get personal and try to put me down. Now how would U feel if just substituetd one word in what you wrote and addresed this to you?

"Just because you do not have the skill required to properly handle normal-weight rifles and shotguns, do not assume the rest of us lack such skill."

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll get to the topic the advantage is they weigh less.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The main reason I like the lighter guns is the fact that I'm a foot bird hunter and not a target shooter. My reasons are different from those in the grouse woods though. I'm a westerner and love hunting the wide open country of the Dakota's and Montana. It's common for me to follow my dog's and get a couple of miles or more from the my pick-up. When you do this several day's in a row the few once's shaved off a gun's weight really mean something.

I will admit though they can be a difficult to master & shoot consistant.

But OHHHHHH they are so nice to handle and look at!!!

cherry bomb, your opening remarks about light gun enthusiasts seeking "the Holy Grail," and being "brainwashed" and "not thinking on their own" was certainly a put down of a lot of people. Don't get in a twist when you get a response in kind.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some years ago I acquired a 28" bbl., 5 lb., 3 oz. 20 ga. Some old fellow had borrowed it from a Nazi officer at the end of WW II and brought it back to the States. In his later years he feared he would pass on and his wife would look under the bed, find the gun, and put a $3 sticker on it for the next garage sale. It had reamined unfired all those years and he made me an offer I just couldn't refuse.

All of that is to say that I don't deliberately cast about for light guns, but here it is.

Objectively, I think it's great in the field where you can't beat a pound lost. Too, most of my field shooting is more of a quick point-and-shoot, and all that stuff about the smooth, fluid swing doesn't get much traction. Good gun.

Shooting clays, you know the gun is light and have to be more mindful about stearing the barrels. Suprisingly, recoil is not as bad as one would imagine, and I routinlely put a hundred rounds through it without a thought. I shoot it as well at skeet or clays as I would any other 20 ga. Given my druthers, however, I would prefer another 1.5 lbs. or so for a clays type gun in 20 ga. - you don't have to think about it as much.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.