March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Licensed to kill), 745 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: salopian
Rabbit,
Very well said !
I think that many of you guys over the Pond can't get your heads round the fact that 'The Trade' didn't have manufactories like the Detroit car makers.
Imagine if you will, the illegal whisky stills in the prohibition era. Then you will be about right.
I think this subject has now run its course, let's move on.

Solopian I'm having trouble seeing what Detroit car makers...illegal whisky stills and the prohibition era has to do with English gun making ?

Are you trying to tell us that most English gunsmiths are drunks and have lost their drivers license's ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I take full credit for the Detroit comparison, JoE. My wife assembled solenoids in Kokomo, IN so even she knows in a general way who puts the ram in the ram-a-lama-ding-dongs. She may not know who put the bomp in bomp-sha-bomp-sha-bomp #3456 but still she knows in that "experienced way" that says you don't get your name on the car just because you're a necessary cog in the machine. Reverting to the first graph of the original question/assertion, replace every instance of "English", "gun", and "gunmaker" with "American", "car", and "carmaker" and it still makes perfect sense. I don't know where to put the moonshine either?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Courtesy of cc/dt and pics of a WR with locks from "Ashes" to follow

Sidelock
Sidelock

Westley Richards courtesy of cc/dt. Commentary to follow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Every time we bring this topic up our English brothers start getting all defensive.....Why.
I mean if you read some of the web-sites concerning American long rifles (referred to as the Kentucky rifles to most people) there are some bitter fights over "This rifle was found in North Carolina and it looks like it was built there". "No it wasn't look at the patch box it was repaired in North Carolina but it was originally built in Allentown Pennsylvania".
The English shotgun and their makers are far better documented then our long rifles so we can investigate this subject with more documented proof as opposed to conjecture.
Plus, I could look at these pics of these high grade English sidelocks all day long!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Thanks once again to The Good Dr.There is a Book"Modern Sporting Gunnery" by Henry Sharp,Printed in London 1906.Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton,Kent & Co., Ltd. Mr Sharp said in the Preface,How fortunate he was that he was able to gain entree'to gun-works owned by a firm of world-wide reputation, (its a bit long for me to write all this... so I'll cut to the'Meat')..Messrs. Westley Richards opened their doors, and gave the 'Good Gent" free rein to look in every crook & nannie...I found that it was the kind of book that is a 'Classic"! I have brought futher copies over the years for 'Gifts" for fellow Gun-Rifle enthusiasts. Carol Barnes at Her Book-Store, See the AD' at the bottom of this page, has managed to locate several copies. It has everything a person who wants to read about Westley Richards,(Up to 1906)needs to know.It shows all the lock Mechanisims from Flint through to the "SIDE_LOCK" and of course the W/R Hand-Detachable Locks. Theres a Great chapter for the Ladies,Chapter 17,"Ladies in the Field", By Her Grace the Duchess of Bedford, (Good photo of "Her-Self".The Gun I have the photos of is No18721 Brm. Proof 1959. 2.3/4"chambers,28" bbls. Dove-tailed Lumps.Purdey DB Under-Bite, with a Hidden 3rd Bolt. 6lb.8oz. Sold New by Abercrombie & Fitch New York, 1961.Joseph Brazier.'Ashes' Locks...A best Quality SIDE_LOCK Build by the Best Birmingham Craftsmen to the High Standards of the London Trade!!!Maybe someone will be able to put some Names & Faces to the Gunmakers???cc/dt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by revdocdrew; 06/29/08 07:29 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Like the snap of the bicycle "soldier". What's the white wrap on the wrist of the hammergun in foto 2? Is the lad you, Mr. T?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun...do you think the quality of the locks match the beauty of the gun ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack R. That was the First stock repair that I was involved with. Snapped thru the front screw hole. I had to hold the gun while the "Hunter" used copper wire, then covered it all over with that white 'Sticky-Tape'! It must have been a 'pretty-sound repair", as I remember useing that Purdey to kill a fox in 1954.inside a chicken house,in the dark..with a Black-Powder Cartrige.Mr G' would never sell his "Ole Lunnunn Gunn"He died whilst I was'Doing my Army Stint".I tried locating the 'Lunnun Gunn for several years,with NO luck.Them Old Purdeys just keep on 'Ticking', so I expect its standing in a corner of an old Cow-Shed just waiting for the next cartridge to be loaded into its chamber......cc//.....HomelessjOe. I think I know what you mean about the 'Inside work, screw heads, bridle finish.etc...I have to be very carefull when I pass comment on Guns not from my Home-Town...cc/dt

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.