May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 667 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#109251 08/26/08 05:07 PM
griz Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently sold my first gun on the internet...a Stevens 311 that I had no further use for. In the description I included "No sales to CA" in light of the recent discussion here on that states recent requirement for a verification number.

Naturally, the buyer didn't read the description and resides in CA.

After further researching their laws it appears that as an unlicensed individual (eg. NOT an FFL)I would be allowed to ship this gun to a CA FFL without the verification approval number.

Would it be wise for me to request something in writing from the buyer's FFL that they will accept shipment from me?

PS...I am starting to understand the woes of internet selling a little better now, having always been a buyer in the past.

griz #109284 08/26/08 07:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It seems to me that would be the responsibility of the buyer, to assure you the CA FFL would be OK with it.

> Jim Legg <

griz Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank You, Jim.

griz #109334 08/27/08 12:06 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am in CA and just completed an internet transaction, on a gun purchased on this BBS. Seller was an out-of-state private party/non-FFL, and the sale went through without a hitch. Picked up the gun today from my FFL.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The verification # requirement is for transfers between FFL's. If the seller is non FFL/private party the gun is shipped to a CA FFL and then transferred to the buyer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The new CA law only applys to shipments between two FFLs (and then excludes 03 and 06 FFLs from it). It does apply to FFL to FFL (dealer) transfers within the state of CA,,even to 'face to face' transfers between them such as at gunshows.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have bought many guns and had them shipped into California. No sweat if the seller is not an FFL. The gun must be shipped to an FFL but the shipper/seller can send it directly with no issues. It does not need to be shipped from an FFL. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been following an auction for several weeks. I would bid on the gun, but the seller (an 01 dealer) states "no sales to California". The gun is an antique, so there is no license required to ship anywhere in the U.S. If dealers are uninformed or too lazy to know or learn the rules that govern their business/livelyhood, then they are the ones who will lose a sale. Admittedly, some of California's gun laws (and I'm certainly not defending them) are a PITA and even unconstitutional, but it's not rocket science to comply with them.

LCSMITH
Sidelock
Sidelock

that's probably true of "dealers" but not everyone selling guns on gunbroker is a "dealer". some of us are just people getting rid of the odd gun for whatever reason. gunbroker exists for my convenience and trying to decipher the vagueries of some state law, the infringement of which could cause dire consequences is way beyond convenient for me. i always put in my ads "no sales to CA under any circumstances". i don't care what i legally can and can't do. it's not worth my time trying to figure it out to sell 6 guns a year. there's 49 other states.

whether ebay or gunbroker, buyers always seem to assume the seller is a business and that's their livelihood.

roger

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are there any special proceedures required if non- licensed individual is selling a handgun rather than a shotgun? Is it OK to simply send handgun to FFL in other state and let him finalize sale to buyer. Will UPS or USPS ship a handgun under those circumstances?

Last edited by Erik W; 08/27/08 10:36 AM.

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.