Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

concave rib, swamped rib, Churchill rib, English rib, file rib, game rib, raised rib, vent rib, floating rib, spare rib . . . what does it all mean? Nomenclature, configurations, advantages, etc. - anyone care to give me a primer on the agony and ecstasy of the SxS rib.

TIA

--shinbone

Boxlock
Boxlock

I'll be the first to say you are not alone with this question....

except the 'spare rib'-which goes well with a nice vinegar based BBQ sauce

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

more of a tomato-based-bbq-sauce-man, myself

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: sparkyflint
I'll be the first to say you are not alone with this question....

except the 'spare rib'-which goes well with a nice vinegar based BBQ sauce

This would, technically, be a "Memphis" rib. While I like all ribs, ... never met a rib I didn't like... I tend toward a Texas style rib, and pork loin being my favorite. I do like to "swamp" them if the sauce is especially good. If I'm just sampling, a "single siding plate" is my preference until target is established.

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
While I like all ribs, ... never met a rib I didn't like

Try Ruger Red Label with the rattle rib, it’s hard to swallow no matter what kind or how much sauce apply

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a wonderful gun site. We give answers right to the point, don't we? I personally prefer the "country style" rib, much more meaty, and will take more smokey flavor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ribs is ribs except after you eat em and then you got a rhythm instrument (bones). But seriously, concave has a laterally concave top surface, swamped generally follows the contours of the barrel striking and has a "gull wing" section, raised generally has a "U-channel" section and stands proud of tangency with the barrels, vent is up on blocks or posts such that stuff can catch in the "vents", floating is up on posts but is only soldered or permanently attached at the breech end and secured by dovetail slots in the posts which allow the rib to expand or contract independent of the barrel(s). Churchill tapers from breech to muzzles so you get the "railroad" track illusion of greater length of barrel than you actually have. Game rib generally lower (less altitude above the barrel)than a target rib. Might be some niceties of differential elevation there that I've omitted but I'm kind of tired out from trying to remember if I actually know or should know or if I remember what someone told me or if they actually did. Don't want to go too far here and have to screw myself up into the BICBW posture.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shinbone:
Rabbit and others covered all types of ribs. A good reference for definitions on shotguns is Hollowell & Co website. If you google Hollowell you will find them.

Chicago Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

A proper rib is smoked/cooked over real wood in Charles County, Maryland, by gentlemen of color, and finished with a vinegary sauce. Best location the junction of 224 and 225 at Mason Springs. Two slabs with mild sauce and one of hot sauce mixed together come out just about heaven.

As to shotguns, the rather high flat rib found on the early Remington Hammerless Doubles is my favorite.

Sidelock
Sidelock

the best place to go for this is Greener's book altho there are other descriptive terms than the 4 he uses. i'm going off memory here as don't have the book any more but basically there are 4 aspects of a rib's shape: 2 longitudinal and 2 lateral. i believe greeners terms were straight, flat, curved and hollow. straight and curved are longitudinal, flat and hollow are lateral.

straight would give a straight line sighting plane from breech to muzzle. curved would follow the barrels (which in my mind is much more attractive as the rib doesn't show above the barrels when viewed from the side). flat would mean the rib were flat from one side to the other and hollow would be concave.

i think curved/hollow is what's usually referred to as swamped but i'm not certain of that.

roger

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.