April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, 4 invisible), 1,042 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,234
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For you more traditional upland bird hunters that travel to Montana each fall, the following may be of interest:

Excerpted from the 'Big Sky Upland Bird Association's (BSUBA) Summer 2008 Newsletter'

"Study Lead Phase-out for Upland Hunting, Resolves" MWF

"The Montana Wildlife Federation, at their annual meeting in April passed a resolution introduced by BSUBA (Big Sky Upland Bird Assoc.) proposing that the Montana Dept. of Fish, Wildlife and Parks study the impact of phasing-out the use of lead shot for upland bird hunting.

Other states have been studying similar limits on the use of lead shot, having found that some direct poisoning of upland birds can occur directly when pellets are eaten for grit, and some secondary poisoning in birds of prey and ravens scavenging on dead upland birds.

Recent increases in the cost of lead shot are making many non-toxic shot products comparably priced to premium lead game loads.

The resolution does not address the use of lead shot for target shooting or rifle bullets. Many tribal lands and federal refuges already prohibit the use of lead shot for hunting of either waterfowl or upland birds."

'BSUBA' is a Missoula-based conservation group that is leading the charge for this lead 'phase-out' study. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in contrast to Minnesota's recent efforts and no doubt will largely be determined by whether the science will be agenda-driven or truly 'objective' and free of speculation. Time will tell, I suppose.....

Rob Harris
Conner, MT

BSUBA can be reached for comment by writing to P.O. Box 9005, Missoula, MT 59807

Dennis Daneke, Pres.
Tom Deveny, Sec. Treas.
Ben Deeble. Past Pres.
Bob Lucas, MWF Rep.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is worrisome!

I wonder who really is pushing that and why? What studys show secondary poisoning in raptors? What are the odds that a gamebird will pick up a piece of #7-1/2 shot. I would guess in the range of 1 in a billion. What studies?

That doesn't sound like Westerners to me. Must be a bunch of tree huggers moving in to the Montana.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 07/21/08 12:24 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agreed with Mike,

How many shots are taken for upland bird hunting on average? One does not concentrate enough lead in one place when upland bird hunting. The odds of having an upland bird or other birds pick up a lead pellet are very very low using common sense.
This is crazy!
But I would accept a scientifically proven result.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't take the citizens guns away, just forbid them use projectiles. This is particullary worrisome for me. I am an avid Damascus and Ml'er shooter. Looks like I may be forced into golfing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First I've heard of it!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Sliver
I would accept a scientifically proven result.

We haven't had one yet concerning the use of lead shot...I could see a ban where shooting is concentrated in one spot like a duck hole or lake...in upland shooting or even big water river shooting I don't see the need for a ban and don't believe they can or have ever came up with any scientifically proven facts to support the ban.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nebraska already has a goodly number of upland areas designated Non Tox....I dont think there was much publicity prior to doing it. These are state managed areas, I am going to talk to he Wildlife Biologist here in Kansas on another matter, and see what she knows of any activity here.....IMHO scientific studies arent going to play much of a role in making these decisions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Soon our fine double guns will be display pieces - thats why my last two buys have been rimfire rifles.(Cooper 17HRM & Kimber 22lr)
Seems small game hunting has caught my attention once again, and with the lack of interest shown in the small game sport these days - it may go un-noticed by the voodoo science set.
Besides I can get months on end of woods time with these rifles without all those regulations.
Golf or small game lads!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Someone will step up there's just way to many Auto 5s, M12s, M37s, and non steel rated 870s and 1100s out there to completely neglect that market.
But it won't be cheap.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Told you so.....'course, at the time, we were treated to non-believing members "The sky is falling" comments.

It will affect anyone who uses a gun, sooner, rather than later. Those who think they will hide behind a rimfire, and miss the coming storm, are un-aware of how many tens of thousands of acres of country are already off-limits to them and their sport.

Wonder what golf clubs they will be using in a few seasons?

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.