May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (AGS, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 264 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,712
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Silvers Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When I was a kid my Dad had a Savage 22 bolt action rifle that I used quite a bit and had some good adventures with. Somehow it disappeared over the years. It was made prior to the 50's. I'd like to find another one like it but can't seem to ID the model number. Here's what I remember: made by Savage, not Stevens. Tube feed. Walnut stock with an enlarged forend that filled the hand. No checkering nor black forend tip. Takedown with a heavily knurled screw beneath the forend. Safety was a knob at the end of the bolt that you pulled back and turned to lock & unlock. Peep sights. Chromed bolt.

A Savage Model 5 is very similar to this description but the reference I have says the Model 5 had a thumbpiece safety behind the bolt handle. My Dad's gun had a knob safety on the back end of the bolt. Maybe his was a very early model 5?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not very knowledgeable about Savage, looked in a couple of books but not sure which rifle your looking for.

If you don't get an answer here I suggest posting at,

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/40/page/1

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Silvers Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Michael, thanks for the time and effort. I will try that link. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Silvers, this link may help also, it strictly for Savage-Stevens rimfires, good group of guys, very helpful, less ego than some big bore types .

Savage Rimfires

I found this picture in their database, good luck with the search.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Old Gun Digests and Shooters' Bibles are a great resource for this sort of thing. Approximately what years are we talking about?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I beleive that is a savage Model 6A. This model had several varieties 6A, 6AB and I think 6B. Stevens also made this same rifle in model 87 with several varieties as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The original poster is referring to a bolt gun, not an autoloader. The only tube feeder with a beavertail style forend that I'm aware of is a Model 5. I owned a Model 5 but don't remember the safety arrangement. Mine was about a 1959 gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The picture that is shown above is a autoloader and I am almost certain it is a a model 6a. It will shoot 22lr in semiauto and 22 short in single shot mode. I have a couple of those as well as the stevens model 87.

Model 3S meets all except it is a single shot. Model 5S doesn't seem to have the knurled knob safety altho it has the other specs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The model 4 savage has the knurled knob at the back of the bolt but it is not the tube feed, it uses a magazine clip. The model 5 was the next model which added the tube feed in place of the magazine clip and has the knurled knob at the back of the bolt. Look at Item # 105020058 on gunbroker.com. This is a model 4. Take away the clip and add the tube feed and you have the model 5

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.