April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (oskar), 987 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: cherry bomb
For those of us not physically challenged I just don't see any advantage carrying a 6 pound gun all day rather than 7 1-2 or 8 pound. But there are many disadvantages in main which is tendency to spray and pray shooting, many wounded birds due to fringe hits because shooter did not accurately center the bird.

CB, Possibly one should not expect that others folks have the same feelings and characteristics as one's self. I am only physically challenged to the point of being overweight and 56. I am a damn good shot and shoot 8+ pound guns 5 days a week, mostly at bunker trap.

I have carried heavy, long barreled guns in the field (even one misguided day last year) but I PREFER to carry a light gun. I love the light weight and the delightful feel of a nicely balanced little 20. I even like 26" barrels. And, you know what? I am a superb shot with those wonderful little things. I shoot fast and am quite deadly. There is no "spray and pray" here. In fact, I truly believe that I shoot those lovely little guns better than I would shoot a heavier slower moving gun in that setting. To each their own. Regards, Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, that's funny!

Originally Posted By: jack maloney
Anyone who thinks light guns are BS has been hunting too close to his car.

My winter bear hunt had me out for about 14 days, typically fifteen to twenty miles a day on foot chasing the hounds, typically on 60-70% grades in loose rocky tight timber, 'packing for bear' including basic med kit, water, survival gear, and a nine and a half pound heavy centerfire rifle.
I had considered taking a 256 mannlicher sporter -- but on that hunt I knew I wanted the heavy rifle.

Hunting too close to the car
Excellent!

I'll say - when I can I reach for light gear and a light rifle, but when there are fifteen to twenty mile days on the foot, the pound off the ass definitely does not equal a pound off the rifle. I think I lost about twelve pounds during the course of my bear hunt, the rifle seemed to gain weight!

--Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 5&3/4lb 12ga Remi 31 w/30" mod. barrel. I don't have all day to ponder its advantages, but there are only two ficticious disadvantages. It requires light loads (say 1oz Pb swarm moving at Vo of 1000-1100fps and a slip-on 'Limbsaver' pad. Ha, ha,...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm looking for a lighter gun myself, can anyone recomend a reasonably priced one that balances well? I'm looking for something right around 6 lbs, 12 bore. I was considering the Beretta 687 Ultralight, but I'd look at other options up to about $4K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am 29, 5'7", 180lbs. It is not so long ago that I carried an f89 minimi LMG with 200round (5.56x45mm NATO) collapsible magazine afield; I may find myself doing it again - for real - in the next year or two. I'm not unfit, and can carry a heavy gun if required.

Stubble quail in Victoria's western district are not, however, quite so nasty, but require nearly as much walking as chasing the most dangerous game of all; I carry a 6 1/2lb, 29" 12g vintage London best by one of the best, with 25x1oz loads afield for them, in a gun that fits well, which I shoot well. It's a fine and valuable gun (more valuable than I could afford now that I have a young family and a mortgage on a modest teacher's wage), but I'm not scared to take it afield and risk a few honest battle scars. If I owned a 16 or a 20 throwing appropriately lighter charges, it would be a proportionally lighter, shorter gun in line with Greener's theories (96x charge, 40x bore diameter), which in my experience is about spot on.

I have come to appreciate that shooters and hunters have preferences more diverse than I can imagine. I don't have to personally like what they do, but (provided it is legal, humane and ethical) I will respect and try to appreciate others' choices borne of long experience. Maybe you, CB, could try the same.
RG

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cherry Bomb, I recently picked up an old Parker Fowler, 3 frame 12 ga, 32" tubes, 9 lbs. It has it's place, duck blind and trap field and even for the latter it's heavy.

If I am going to carry one all day I like a shotgun like I like a woman, petite. Maybe you like them with some meat on their bones :-)

It's all in the eye of the beholder or perhaps there truly is no account for tastes.

To each their own, live and enjoy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look for good ole' BLE or BLEX w/o the bottom rib from Saint- Etienne. They are not common like some "kit gun" clunker "Ironmonger" piece with English name, but for 1/3 to 1/4 of the cost of equivalent Birmingham gun they're well worth seeking out. Last one I have seen cost only $650.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nhcrowshooter, I like a small bore, light woman with a slender butt just as much as the next guy, but then I intend to use the woman for different purposes than I would a 9 lbs. Parker shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So the word on French guns is out, eh PJ. My 5# 16 gauge Francobanger cost $500 (add to that $300 by Hugh Lomas to put it back on face). Final cost, $800 for a 5# 16 gauge gun with 27 inch barrels(not cut BTW they're metric), am I a happy camper or what! BTW CB I'm 6'5"s 250#'s and can literally walk all day non-stop, it's my arms that get tired carrying one of those anvils all day (not said as an insult, it's just what a heavy gun begins to feel like after awhile).
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it depends on the game...

For waterfowl and clays I am learing to shoot an 8 lb Model 21 Duck.

My best shots however, those "how could anyone hit that!" shots have been made with my lightest SxS, a 12 ga Merkel 47E at 6 lbs 3 ozs. The 47E comes to the shoulder and fires almost subconsciously. Perhaps this is why some shooters perfer a light gun, the mind and body accepts them as part of the body. I don't think a pro tennis player would use a very heavy racket or Tiger Woods would use a driver when a 5 iron would be best. I have shot geese with the 47E using 1.5 oz 3" loads but it is not something I like to do very often! I've also shot clays with it but after 100 rounds or so I've had enough.

As for physical condition; I'm a retired Marine who knows how to walk and walk and walk while carrying far too much gear. I'm also in better physical condition that most men my age. But, during my annual 10 day duck hunting trip to North Dakota I hunt pheasants and sharpies in the afternoon after our morning's duck hunts. After half a dozen or more 3AM wakeups both my retriever and this hard dog can get a litte worn out. For those long afternoons I want a light gun. I'm very certain my afternoon ND field walks are nothing as hard as a few western chukar hunts!

If someone wants and can shoot a 5 pound gun then good for him!!!

USMC Retired
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.