May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (playing hooky), 625 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,402
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I fully grasp our country's decline.

Developments such as the one above are a good example. People living like rats inside apartments (like they do in Europe, for example) named after the woods they wiped out. I'm not sure what you think you're looking at King, but those are not nice digs. There's no glory in any of that 'apartment on a gold course' crap. It's sterile, confining, and speaks of a life of uselessness. I'd rather see a trap range or better yet a factory built.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes Jimmie I did omit that-and you are right- it's just that politicians and "developers" can rape the land and the "salt of the earth farmers" and get away with it-but lawyers often have a bounty on their heads- what did The Bard of Avon say in "King Lear"- something like- "first thing we do, first thing tonight, it kill all the lawyers, all that are in sight"- wise man that Shakespeare lad-!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't quite make out the Latin phrases that you two are speaking but I believe you are saying- "A bird in the hand, is worth a push in the bush." Am I correct to assume this?..............Denny Crane

Sidelock
Sidelock

They pave paridise, put up a parking lot....don't know what you got till it's gone... jj

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wasn't going to get back in on this one, but can't help myself.

Having grown up in Texas some 60+ years ago, and having seen a very nice state to live in made largely unlivable, I am greatly saddened. Development is rampant, with only token or no consideration for quality of life. The most $$ obtainable from the property is the top consideration. As was mentioned, we are becoming nothing more than rats on a treadmill. Cities grow together into metroplexes, gobbling up all the rural and pastoral land.

I am personally trying to preserve a few acres in East Texas for the critters and my sons and friends and others to enjoy, but the taxing authorities are making it very difficult to do so. They raised my valuation on completely rural land by 75% this year. I live in fear of what they will do next year.

The Good Lord put us here to be stewards of this earth, not to destroy it. We are not doing a very good job.

Happy trails,

HHH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I couldn't determine the quality of housing from the distance the photo was taken from, Greg, but it looked like green landscaping with no monstrous high-rises to me. As for the people living there in apartments "like rats," that's the future as housing becomes in-and-up to acommodate residents fleeing the suburbs. Half the world lives happily in apartments; it's all that millions have ever known, an improvement over what they had. Those of us who live in single-family homes in bucolic neighbourhoods are a minority. And we all know It's not the space but the ancient and powerful force of family that makes a home.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The local shooting range here in Kenmore WA is now surrounded by developments. I can't see it lasting another generation. The club has put up a stalwart effort to preserve it and have even tried to have it declared a wildlife area. I'm in the real estate business, developing under utilized in-city properties. We must have greater density within city limits if we are going to curb sprawl. Suburban developments wouldn't continue if there was no demand. Furthermore, as long as there is increasing population (largely from illegal immigration) and the money to pay for the expensive suburban houses, the politicians will find ways around the growth managment laws that are in place. Funny how a guy can have a heck of a time getting permisson to sub-divide his 10acre parcel but Weyerhauser has no problem getting permits to clear-cut the forest and build a 200 home golf course development.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A guy I work with, his family owned a tract of land about 10 acres. It was very hilly and rocky, so you really couldn't build on it or plant on it but they had always had it and used it for family picnics, reunions, etc.

Then they built I35, and it happened to front right on their land. Every year their taxes got raised - after all it's highway frontage. It got to the point where the government said it was worth over $2 Million. they could no longer pay the taxes, and no one in their right mind would actually buy it because it was so heavily taxed. So, they had to turn it over to the government. It still sits there today, 15 years later, nothing has been done with it but the only difference is the just don't own it any more and can't go on it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All brought to you by that 'push in the bush'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shoot-N-Release
]Furthermore, as long as there is increasing population (largely from illegal immigration) and the money to pay for the expensive suburban houses, the politicians will find ways around the growth managment laws that are in place.

I live in an area of declining population. You can't believe how many new homes have been built in this area in the last 10 years. People are abandoning the cities and moving to the country.

Last edited by ohiosam; 06/29/08 07:10 PM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.