May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (earlyriser, bsteele, prairie ghost, 1 invisible), 988 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,849
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8039 10/31/06 03:57 PM
OP Offline

Gents, several days ago I mentioned a near mint 1950s Browning Sweet 16 I'd bought. I just received it, and while it is probably 98% (a couple of very light spots of freckling on the receiver - not enough to bother me), I did discover a pit in the bore, 7 inches from the muzzle. I can feel it with a dental pick and can see it with the naked eye. I tried polishing it with some JB bore paste, but no noticeable effect. The bore is otherwise pristine.

My question is, how signifigant is this? I paid top dollar for the gun and have 3-days to return it. However, I'm a rifle shooter, and don't usually deal with shotgun barrel pitting issues.

I'd be interested in any thoughts on how big a problem this is in an otherwise beautiful gun.

Thanks,
DeWayne

Sidelock
Sidelock

DeWayne,

Is it shallow or deep? You could have the barrels honed and polished, but if it is shallow and you clean meticulously I doubt it will be a problem. I shoot a Fox and Parker that both have very minor pits. Doesn't affect anything except I wish they weren't there.

Jim

OP Offline

I can't determine exactly how deep it is - of course, it's deeper than I'd like. I can't hang a dental pick in it, but I can feel the rough patch.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you fancy doing it yourself you might consider the Brownell's barrel hone: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/P...NG+FLEX+HONE%7e

I think it can be bought else where for less money. If this is the only gun I would consider having it done by a pro. Mike Orlen of this Board id highly recommended. Mike's contact info: orlen@verizon.net 413-256-1630

Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

7" from the muzzle is not a major problem. Pressure is very much lower there than near the chamber. If you keep the pit clean it will not get deeper. I think that efforts to hone out every pit in a barrel does more damage than good some times. Rather have one pinpoint pit than a set of barrels thinned just to remove tha pit.

If you want a pristine gun this is not one. If you want a very good condition gun this one should suit. Question is does one pit queer your deal? Have to be a fairly large one to bother me at that spot in the barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What size of flex hone does one need for a 12 ga, .729? I have a couple of hammer guns which could do with a light honing.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buy your flex hones at MSC and save a bunch of money for the same thing!
bill

OP Offline

Actually, I just had a friend take a look at it and poke around with the dental pick, as well. He feels it's more like a shallow spot of "flake rust" as opposed to a full-out pit cavity.

I suppose I can live with it given its location, shallowness and the fact that the rest of the gun is in such nice shape. While it was disappointing to find any imperfections, I think I'd have to look for a long time to find a Belgian Sweet 16 in the same condition, so I'd better keep it.

I appreciate all your help, as always, gentlemen.

DeWayne

Sidelock
Sidelock

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.