May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, montenegrin), 301 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,570
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Need some info....
Moving to Alaska and will be taking the ALCAN up.
Before I hit the border, what info/forms will I need to have ready for the Canadian customs folks? Any problems with ammo or muzzle loading rifles?

I'll be bringing 5-10 shotguns/rifles (hopefully that isn't a problem)

On the other end in Alaska, any issues with Re-crossing the border?

Thanks Guys...

Dan
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, and Yes. You will need to register your guns with US Customs prior to leaving, so that when you enter Alaska, you can prove that the guns are yours, and you are simply bringing them back into the US from Canada. That registration is good forever.

Yes, you will need to register your guns going into Canada. If I remember correctly, there is a fee of about $25, but I don't remember if that is per gun or a one-time fee that can be applied to a number of guns. I believe that form is good for 90 days. Google up "Canadian Gun Laws", and you will be directed to a Canadian site which can answer your questions

In each case, if your border port is like Detroit/Windsor, DO NOT bring the guns into the office. Have the serial numbers, and if the agent wants to verify the numbers, he/she will come out to your car.

Good luck

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Three guns into Canada for a year is $25. But I don't know if this is merely for moving them through. Sorry I lost the URL.

Sidelock
Sidelock

have a look at - http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/visitin_e.asp - form JUS 909.

Register your arms with US Customs (Customs Form 4457) before leaving our country.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"If you are declaring more than 3 firearms, please complete and attach a Non-Resident firearm Declaration - Continuation Sheet (CAFC 910). If you need a continuation sheet, you can call us at either 1-800-731-4000 in Canada and the USA or at 506-624-4380 outside Canada and the USA and we will send you copies. These sheets are also available at any Canada Border Services Agency office."
Bottom line, ......call and request a 909 and a 910 form. And have a US Customs form 4457 for re-entry.

"A Stranger is a Friend we haven't Met"
Boxlock
Boxlock

Also be prepared for the question, " Why do you need guns?" or "What is the purpose of the gun?". The answer they always wanted from me was "hunting".

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you don't think shipping the guns to yourself in Alaska is an option, I would make friends with a US Customs official. The usual drill is to get the 4457 filled out in advance and have an official verify that you possess the guns before he/she signs. Be specific enough so that extra sets of barrels, etc. are described. This is done a couple of guns at a time or you should make an appointment.

As for the Canadian side of things, the forms required are as described above. If you are obviously moving house (maybe towing a trailer), be honest and say these are your hunting guns which you are moving to a new residence. Try not to cross the border at peak times. Have the forms filled out in advance and the guns ready for access if requested. Be sure you have the US paperwork in order and ready to present. It will almost entirely depend on the luck of the draw as to which personnel you find.

I also print out the applicable regulations and have a copy with me.

In my experience, all processes depend on serial numbers. If there are different numbers on actions, barrels and forends, record them. If you have that information from a third party, either the person from whom you purchased, a gunsmith, or other, so much the better.

Last edited by Montana; 04/04/08 09:15 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.