May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (susjwp, ClapperZapper, Marks_21, bushveld), 527 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,456
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Auguste Chapu, Paris. Known to have been in 1894-95 at 5 avenue de la Grande Armee.

g gournet
OP Offline

I looked the gun over again for anything else that may help. The locks are marked, "A. Chapu Paris". The barels flats are marked "PT" with the symbol of a star above the initials. They are also a series of stamps that look like a shield with a crown above. The action bar bears similar marks with "A. Chamu" and "Paris". The barrels are marked, "JNO. HY. Andrew & Co LTD. TOLEDO Steel Works Sheffield N". The serial number is 3923.

Not much to go on, I know.

Thanks for all your help.
Michael

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very good info Darnation. From knife collecting, I knew Sheffield had some fine blades and I have found some tube steel info here: http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fre...amp;oref=slogin . And the A. Chapu tubes would have been made at Andrew Toledo Steel Works in Sheffield.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 03/21/08 10:29 PM.
OP Offline

Hello Raimey,

The date of the articles corresponds with the information that darnation supplied. Seems like a very nice address for a gunmaker.

Best regards,
Michael

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your gun is proof in Paris.

g gournet
Sidelock
Sidelock

In DGJ, Autumn 2001, Gary Murphy wrote an article entitled "The History of the Shotgun: A French Revolution". It includes a photo of a Chapu. He also mentions the maker (in passing), and seems to indicate he was still in business after WWI (or maybe WWII). However, Chapu guns are not often seen in this country, and should not be confused with the much more prolific Chapuis.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, Any leads from this Thread for further Imfo' on the"Drawn Steel Company"??..Auguste Chapu, Paris. I have had 2 Chapu's 'on the bench' both were owned by "French Chap", a Scholar of the First Water",A Charming Continental,nothing like the description that Queen Victoria gave to her "Subjects" about the French!!The Guns were of the Highest Quality,from the 'Nose-end to the Butt-Ends of the French Walnut Stocks. For a farther evaluation of the "High Standard of the quality" of the 20 bore, Mr Paul Hodgins,"Stockmaker Extrordinaire"(Formerly of the House of Holland & Holland..Factory, not the Clothing Store),Paul was commisioned to Restock the 20',The Lad did 'Well& Good'.I got to see the gun at a later date. I'm sure Auguste would have been"Chuffed", even tho'an Englishman had had his 'Grubbies" all over the'Fro.....Delete...French built Shot-Gun. I was.CC/dt

Sidelock
Sidelock

crossedchisles(Mr. Trevallion):

No joy as of yet in the Drawn Steel Company. But I can tell you that J.H. Andrews of Andrews Toledo Steel Works crossed the Pond no less that 60 times to convince the Americans to use his steel in the Brooklyn Bridge. And regarding steel/furnace workers in Spain: in 1872 the furnaceworkers survived on a daily regment of 2 lbs of bread, 1 ounce of olive oil with a pinch of salt all cooked in a pot of gaspacho.

Also, I need to amend, partially retract, revise an early statement on holding steel tubes to the Damascus bar: not only in the strength category, but also in the economic/cost category. Steel workers/tube makers knew the dynamics of Damascus tube making(likely mechanized) inside & out. "Compressed steel" was a relatively new fangled idea and when techniques and costs(mining, shipping & processing) were under control, the pure economics lead to the demise of Damascus tubes.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

OP Offline

It's nice to hear that Mr. Trevallion has come across the maker before. I was particularly impressed with the guns balance and handling qualities. The barrels are 28 1/4 inches (metric no doubt) and it weighs in at slightly under 6 lbs. A very lively double. The length of pull to wood is 12.5 inches followed by a series of spacers and rubber pad that get it to 14.25. Since the gun is for my son I plan to start him out at 12.5 inches and move up from there.

I've included a couple photographs of the gun.

Thanks again for all your help.
Michael

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/murynowi/AChapu/photo#5180592896009739090[/img]
[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/murynowi/AChapu/photo#5180592861650000690[/img]
[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/murynowi/AChapu/photo#5180592917484575586[/img] [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/murynowi/AChapu/photo#5180592947549346674[/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

thomaswoodward...not much help but I have nice no name Belgiun SLE with best features , art'trigger, bushed pins stocked to fences etc..though the locks are marked with the "Britte" stamp inside.....bbls marked under forend HY Andrews Toledo steel works Sheffield England.
No one has seemed to have heard of them,,,,,Raimey,what do you know about Mr Andrews & his Toledo works??
love to hear any info.
Yours looks to be a nice sideplated BL
thanks
franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 03/22/08 08:57 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.