April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (skeettx, Argo44, Tim in PA), 375 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Boxlock
Boxlock

My advice. Keep one working horse in the cabinet. You will not take that H&H out in bad weather

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have made the mistake of selling off guns that I shot well and had brought me pleasure to own, and had years of memories with in order to afford a higher priced/quality gun. I had put so much hope and anticipation in the next gun bringing even more pleasure than the last, that I forgot what matters and was very disappointed. It's called "nextoneitis", it's a sickness, and I have it.

If you have to sell off guns you really like to get this next one, you'd be making a mistake in my opinion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, my Remi 31 (more finely crafted version of Mossberg 500 AT) will be the last shotgun to go, and that's the least expensive piece I own.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PS. I am pretty lucky laddie. I also own a sample of finest repeating rifle ever made. The man largely responsible for it's creation was born on coffee plantation in Jamaica! und

Sidelock
Sidelock

3 thoughts:
1) you're always going to regret what you didn't do more than what you did. will you regret giving up the others? sure. but not at much as you'd regret not getting the H&H.
2) if they're less expensive, those will be the ones easier to replace later
3) i'd rather own 10 guns for one year each than 1 gun for 10 years. i want to own them ALL. doesn't mean i didn't like the ones i've had but not having unlimited resources some have to go to get new ones.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Sharpsrifle
Really depends on how much you love that H&H, how much you'll use it compared to other guns in your collection...etc...etc...etc. Frankly, If you have multiple $10K guns already in the cabinet, you're probably splitting hairs when it comes to quality. As with all things we collect and enjoy, it's a personal decision. I wouldn't buy anything just because it's more expensive than something else. Since you already have nice guns, I'd say you have a problem few of the rest of us will ever have...the choice is completely yours.

I agree, and I think there's a limit in trading up, assuming you plan on using the gun, and that this is not a collectors item.
Trading a few workhorses to get a good sxs or o/u, is one thing, but trading several 10K guns to get a H&H.... I'm not sure if you'll valuate your trade as a great thing.

HM

M&M Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with the group of keep your workhorse/go to gun (or several).

In addition, I believe guns are made to use, not just look at. They may be works of art, but they still go bang when you pull the trigger. Any gun I own, or hope to own, I plan to use. It may not be in a duck blind or in brush country crawling through barbed wire (read bob wire) fences, but it will be used.

max Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Huntersdad, I've been there, done that. The reality of trading up to the H & H is that you pay a premium of about 75% for the name. You will not be getting 20,000 more in quality. You must ask yourself is the name worth it? If it is, go for it. Now, if you do go for the H & H, then you have other problems, such as the limitations of who you are comfortable with working on the gun when it has problems (it will) and the repair cost relative to other guns. Then, because you got some much money in the thing, you may be reluctant to have the gun fondled by just anyone for fear of the "blemish" and you may not even think of taking her to the field, etc. Ultimately, you end up with a gun that you cost you a pile of money that sits in your safe.

max #87548 03/12/08 11:07 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen, I appreicate the input a great deal. I love this board and it is the one that I read because I like the people who post here. Thanks, HuntersDad

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not familiar with H&H over the years - is an early 1980's gun a 'good' one to have?

The reason I ask is if we were talking Corvettes you sure as hell wouldn't want to break your bank to own a 1981 'vette.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.