April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (eightbore, ClapperZapper, Jtplumb), 1,304 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84622 02/24/08 03:00 PM
_Axel_ Offline OP
OP Offline

Ive heard theres a gun museum in Liège? Anyone here been to this place? Good bad?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Axel,
It is supposed to house some excellent collections. The museum was closed indefintely for renovations in July,2004 when I was last in Liege. Hopefully someone on this board will have an update.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clair Kofoed should know http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=385
Pete M has also been in contact with the museum and ONE OF THEM NEEDS TO MAKE THE TRIP to Liege, Ferlach, and the Midlands and find my Belgain, German, and English damascus Rosetta Stones

Sidelock
Sidelock

Axel,

The museum is closed, the last I had heard. I am not sure when it is scheduled to reopen. Here is the website: http://www.museedarmes.be/home.htm
It is possible to search for images from at least part of their holdings on line. Although I have catalog numbers for some items that are not possible to pull images for.

Drew,

Wrong museum... Although I have been in contact with researchers at Liege in the past.
You are correct, I should go and visit both of them. Ready to come along? I promise a trip to Birmingham if you do

Pete

PeteM #84705 02/24/08 10:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to far from the Musee d'Armes, there is the Musee de la vie Wallone ( about the life of the local people ) and there is a good display of the gunmithing tools and the lifestyle of the wallons at the lifestyle of the wallons at the XIX and early XX.

g gournet
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometime in the 80's I visited my son who was performing in a "Broadway Type" show called "Deutschland Lied" (Germany Sings) in Cologne (Koln) Germany. One day when he was busy all day with rehersals I caught the train to Liege (about one hour away). There was a huge carnival playing right in the middle of town. I asked about the arms museum but found that it was closed that day as well. I then went on to find the Fabrique Nationale (FN)plant and by a little subterfuge (conveyed greetings from our Governor Campbell and reminding them that we have an FN plant here in Columbia, SC) got the "Cook's Tour" of their works. There were guys walking in & out with briefcases handcuffed to their wrist.

The highlight of my tour was a visit to their Custom Shop where they were building & finishing custom guns and rifles some with elaborate inlays and engraving. They had a room of finished guns for Saudi Sheiks, Middle Eastern Princes and heards of state. I saw the Apprentice at the bench next to to the Journeyman next to the Master Gunsmith or Engraver. They didn't have any free samples of their work but they were kind enough to give me some very fine books on the history of FN.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

darnation,

The Museee de la vie Wallone ( Museum of Walloon Life ) is currently closed. I understand it is scheduled to reopen some time this year. They also have information about the early years of the arms trade in Belgium. I believe they have an exhibit of Walloon Linen for Drew

Pete

PeteM #84732 02/25/08 06:12 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

According to my contacts the restauration and renovation works ends in mai and the reopening is for june or july (4 yaers of renovations)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Marc,

Mon ami, merci.

Pete

PeteM #84749 02/25/08 09:01 AM
_Axel_ Offline OP
OP Offline

I guess i have to wait till next year, my elder brother lives in BE so il be back i guess...

thx for advice!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.