May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (trw999, Marks_21, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,064 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,550
Members14,416
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig,
We can't make up this guy's mind for him. But, I tried to show him the futility of cutting the barrels for weight loss. People will do what they want to with their property and money. All we can do is provide information.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

the barrels are fluid steel. the serial number on the fore-end does not match the rest of the gun so it doubtful the gun has much historical value thus i'm considering it as a project. new wood, custom engrave and re-color, and maybe try to cut some weight off too. you've given a valid argument against cutting the barrels, thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why spend all that money renovating/altering a utility gun that some feel has value as it stands?

You mention custom engraving. So you have to anneal the frame/furniture, have it engraved, have it rehardened. What kind of money will that cost? You're trying to turn a truck into a sportscar. Sell it and buy a gun that suits you. Add up the figures and either wait to find a nice high grade Lefever or buy an alternative gun from CSM if you like American guns made to your specifications.

I've never understood the prediliction of my fellow Americans to spend all this money on these hardware store guns rather than buying a good quality gun that suits them in the first place.

(Now if it was Grandad's gun and you want to freshen it and pass it on to your daughter I can understand that...what price sentiment?)

It costs little more to renovate a suitable high grade gun than a utility gun, and it's money better spent, IMHO.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

snowcat you've really opened a can of worms now. i bet ken hurst doesn't like to hear that stuff. the answer is easily explained. take autos as an example. ever seen a tricked out old clunker? many of those guys could go buy a ferrari or porsche, used or new, but they don't because they get no personal attachment with it. to get a semi custom gun where i get to choose the wood, measurements, and engraving pattern will cost me minimum $10k probably closer to $15k. i could have that done to my lefever for less. i could buy a new gun off the shelf but what fun would that be?

lastly i take the "english best" stuff with a grain of salt. the american "hardware store" guns such as fox, lefever, parker, lc smith are just as good functionally as the english. what english gun can compare with a model 21 as far as durability and function? just because a gun is hand made doesn't mean it functions any better. so if the guts are good why not throw some personalized embellishment on it and have some fun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

As much as I find vintage American guns interesting - they can not hold a candle to the best of the English.
Sorry to be the one to tell you this ol'bean!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the lad mentioned "functionally" , Thorny. As in, bringing something to bag, actually using, being within the grasp of ownership ($$$$) and all that rot.

Funny, when one gets away from the gunroom, the snifter of $500 a glass bourbon, the cigar smoke, and the pictures on the walls of game in it's element, the English name on the rib most likely should be taken with a grain of salt. I doubt the game cares if it is taken with an Ivory Johnson, or a Boss.

The "Empire" guns weren't "Royals", ol 'sod. Not by accident, either.

Thinking is clearer, when it's in tangables. A bird in hand is worth two engraved on the sidelocks, even if they are 24K.

That being said, don't look to me to borrow a hacksaw. Too many, best and otherwise, have met that end already.

Upgraded and personalized is one thing, pimped is quite another.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jumping onto the bandwagon, we may think we own these old guns because we shelled out the bucks for them and some folks may even think they should use them up - as they would other consumables like beer and pork rinds - and toss them away when they're done with them. . . but we don't really own them. We are nothing more than custodians and with that comes a certain responsibility. To alter them simply to fulfill an impulsive whim is arrogant irresponsibility. JMHO, but please reconsider.

Sidelock
Sidelock

DAM!...well said....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, well said. However, I fear that we are too far down the road to stem the tide of altering old guns due to arrogant irresponsibility.

The "ME" generation has set in motion many things that I'm, sadly, not sure that our Grand Children can overcome.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

The "Me" generation has done a great service in conserving these old guns. It'll be the future generations, who will stand in line at the junkyard grinder with their great grand-daddy's M21s in hand!
Pamper them now while you can - their days are numbered.
Just remember when passing these prize guns up the family tree - you'll only get 'em arrested in our near one world future.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.