April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (buckstix, Gunning Bird, HistoricBore), 240 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

As others have said the last place you want to sell a gun is a dealer.He will always offer you the least amount of all the other ways to sell it.Worked it retail gun sales many years ago, customer brings in guns,two or three salesmen add up what low retail would be and they take the average and offer 50%.
Only works for divorce's,widows and heirs when they don't care as they have no money in it.
If you want to sell a gun do it yourself.If that was my gun I would first try on here after looking what they typically sell for,not what they offered at and most certainly not retail.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd only sell junk at a store - anything else go to Gunsamerica.com or Gunsinternational...or you could list it here, of course.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What's interesting is the dealers seem to have no shortage of guns.

I know that there are certain double gun owners who idolize gun dealers. They get greasy at the mention of Chadick or Ivory Beads and cry like schoolgirls at a Beatles concert when you mention Steve Barnett.

I pretty much maintain that dealers are leeches that do a lot more harm than good. They turn what should be a hobby into a business. They doctor guns, they fake guns, and they strip guns of provenance. All pretty serious crimes against humanity.

A dealer is an opportunist, not an enthusiast.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess what irritates me is the arrogance of the so called offer at times, regardless of the lack of knowledge and bravado.
I offer in good faith and try for a fair deal; if I was looking to rape or pillage I'd troll it on Gunbroker for a few years. I don't go to a dealer to sell expecting a killing for sure;usually I anticipate more of a beating for some practical,logistical or time reason on my part.
I understand the issues of being in business, and I will NEVER begrudge someone a reasonable profit.However,if someone wishes to bend me over,( so to speak), the least they could do is throw in a few niceties first ! Jeez they are awful sweet when I'm looking to buy their guns...my rant for the day. Rick

"Sometimes too much to drink is not enough" Mark Twain

I've had good results selling used shotguns HERE, and on gunbroker.com.

One local gunshop with where I buy a lot of reloading supplies will sell my used guns for me on straight commission of 10% of the selling price. I think that is a pretty good deal.

By the way, I think a used Classic Lion is worth $800 to $900 depending upon condition and barrel length (the 30" is most coveted).

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

gjw
FWIW
100% profit is impossible. If the price is double it is 50% profit.

Mark
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buying shotguns is what is fun about our hobby. The search, the research, the bargaining, and the anticipation are what we're after. Once you buy it, it goes in the safe and becomes only an obligation to try and get out shooting or hunting a couple times a year.

Selling shotguns is a pain. Dealers and pawnshops just see you as a "mark". Go to a show and Troll a gun for sale and you find out how few people have a clue about the guns we love.

IMHO the only reasonable way for an individual to sell a sxs is on the internet on a site dedicated to folks interested in and knowledgable about what you're trying to peddle. Understand going in to the sales process that the only reason dealers expect to get retail is because they invest in the premises, the inventory, the sales staff, and all the other overhead that brings customers to them....Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is pretty common procedure for a gun store. I had a chance to buy a brand new Stevens 311 last year for $75.00 from a private individual. A buddy of his told me about it. Not a great gun, but well worth the money. But, before I had the chance to get out to his house and buy it, or even call him, he had sold it to a gun shop near here. Then the price was $550.00. Guess I won't be owning a 311 in the near future. I'm not into them all that much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"100% profit is impossible. If the price is double it is 50% profit."

Here in Texas, anyway, the math is that a buy at $200 and a sell at $400 is a 100% profit. A sell at $800 is a 200% profit. A sell at $300 is a 50% profit.

The problem....as with all of the USA, is that making a living is no longer fashionable. The gun dealer can't live in a 1300 sq ft house and drive a 9 year old 1/2 ton truck and wear a pair of shoes until they wear out.

Like the owner of a Pizza Hut or the guy who picks up your garbage, the gun dealer must drive a 2008 Tahoe XXT Edition. He must live in a new 4000 sq ft house and he must have a pair of shoes for each day of the week. He must eat at Chili's four times a week. If he did not screw the seller of guns and the buyer of guns he would only have a DVD player, not an HDTV player.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's OK. You want to know how to get even with everybody? Just do what I do. The next time you go through Taco Bell, order two Steak Naco Bell Grandes. It will come to $6.38. Drive up to the window and hand them a ten dollar bill and four pennies. Then watch the fun begin. That'll teach 'em all............Denny Crane

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.