March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Owenjj3, NCTarheel, gunmaker, 3 invisible), 381 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,006
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: JDW
Lldub, Trichlorethelyne was probably the greatest thing for removing grease, dirt, oil, from metal parts, etc.. Also was used as a dry fly floatant. Also very bad for your health.
If you still use this stuff please use the appropriate respirator, or send it to me.

Don't worry, I was well aware of the danger and took precautions. But I haven't seen any of the stuff for 10 years now.

There is one thing that might be tried, which I think worked, but have gotten back to that project yet.

It uses the same container/hot pad idea from my post above. Heat is really the key, if you can do it safely. There's some stuff at home depot in the stripper section. I'm not at home and can't think of the name. But it's bluish and comes in a semi clear plastic 1 gal container. It appears to be water based. It's non-flameable.

I heated it up in my container until it boiled/simmered. Then I put the stock in it for maybe 10 minutes. It stripped the small amount of finish that was left on my test stock right off. And, seemed to do a good job degreasing the head. I checked to see if the inletting had expanded, and it did not appear to have done so as the action/tangs/etc seemed to fit right in. It was probably because the stock was in the "stuff" for only 10 minutes.

Again, use caution as it's a chemical and you don't want to breath hot chemicals. Also wear gloves, if you think you want to try something like this.

One side effect was that it seem to "dull" the tone of the wood. So as a last step I used a two part Teak wood cleaner. That involves wetting the wood but not "soaking" it. It restored the natural color and it appears everything is good to go. We'll see.

Boxlock
Boxlock

It could work, although it would require lots of elbow grease as Lacquer Thinner often will only soften the finish rather than completely remove it. A better and easer method for a complete finish strip is to use a good, commercially available, spray-on striper (the more dangerous according to the labels, generally the better unfortunately) along with 00 steel wool. Don't use anything finer as the steel strands can become imbedded in the wood. just follow the instructions on the can and you should be good to go. Hope this helps...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone have before and after photos of stocks they've successfully done this to?

--Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've posted before and after photos in the past, the last one was of an 1878 Colt, that was a few years ago. I don't have the pictures anymore, sorry about that.
One of the bad things about digital photography is that it's easy to delete your old photos.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rockdoc, thank you for your mention.

I also have an annotated edition of Wonko's Brew:

The Brew -- actually two successive soaks
Forum: The gunshop.com Double Gun BBS
Re: Question for Zaphod on stripping a stock............(more) (Don Nolan)
Date: Mar 01, 13:45

There have been repeated request for this on various BBS's. I had occasion to rewrite it, cause I couldn't find my file. So, if any of you have mislaid this useful little procedure, here 'tis:
The "Wonko the Sane" method for stripping oilsoaked gunstocks and finishes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Foreword from JohnM:

My training in antique furniture repair is as conservator -- the most preservation with the least damage. Regarding the restoration of military relics and old guns, an Enfield BBS discussion about "sacrilege!" defined exactly, that there is a fine dividing line between (1) stabilizing the decline of the object, (2) achieving and preserving a stable, well-cared for appearance that doesn't obliterate the object's history, and (3) "Ooopsie! It's really frigged up now. Kiss the history and value goodby!".

A lot of what you do depends on the object itself: how bad is it and is it getting worse? What then, is your restoration goal? How will you achieve it without going past it? I see a great deal of merit for a good, nondestructive cleaning of wood and metal. Excess amounts of petroleum oil are particularly destructive to stock wood. A useful substance for an overall cleaning, found here in the 'States is called D&L Hand Cleaner. [This is NOT conservation approved by the twinkle-toed museum set, BTW! ;~`)]

"D&L" is a nonabrasive, stiff white jell, that is sold in a widemouth can at autoparts stores for hand cleaning. Do NOT try to use the orange, gritty stuff or other pumice and abrasive hand cleaners. The homogenized petroleum solvents, detergents, and surfactants in the D&L will get a LOT of crud off. I'd be interested to hear of it's effect on old cosmoline, should anyone want to try it. Rinse with common paint thinner and rub dry.

For the most severe cases, I think the following procedure { WONKO's } is the least destructive, but the most complete: because -- the oven cleaner, dish washer, sandpaper and steel wool, et. al. are all much harder on the wood and historic surfaces and they all have some failings. I will be very happy to correspond with folks who try this, as an old military rifle provides the greatest cleaning challenge of which I'm aware, so far as pure grease, grime, dirt, soaked in petroleum [wood-eating!] oil, and excessive finish.

I cribbed this off the Shooting Sportsman board a couple of years ago, posted by a now-departed fellow named "Wonko the Sane" Hope it proves useful. Save as a word doc, because I won't. ;~`). This is more or less as i remember it. Any rudeness must certainly be mine. ;~`)

THE METHOD:

Go to the hardware store [or chemist, for the Brit's] and buy a gallon of acetone and a gallon of denatured alcohol. It's relatively cheaper than retail paint strippers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~WARNING~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DANGER!!!: READ THIS NOW!
The stuff BLOWS UP if you assist it to do so.
Don't make sparks, smoke 'whatever',place by hot water heaters and furnaces or otherwise make it go boom. OK?

It's the READER'S responsibility NOW.
Don't kill your family by fire, just because you won't care enough to read and heed prominently posted warnings regarding the use and storage of potentially hazardous articles. Also, use good VENTILATION: the furnace room in wintertime is a poor place to be doing this. You need some fresh air circulation.

NOTHING PERSONAL!
WHY this method? It's prob'ly the SAFEST METHOD I know of, given the few elementary precautions to be followed. The materials have a relatively low toxicity rating (TLV - Threshold Limit Value). They are safer to handle and use, chemically speaking, then most retail strippers. AND they do a great job with virtually zip work by you. From a preservation standpoint, it leaves the wood undamaged.

BEGIN:
You need (1) a big, cheap FUNNEL from the auto parts store. You should have a batch of (2) nitrile or latex GLOVES -- pinch 'em from the doc or dentist; they'll just spend the money on shotguns anywayz. (3) a pair of safety glasses or GOGGLES -- y'all can figure that one out, right? You need (4) a PAN made of stainless steel, or porcelain, or other non-reactive material which is big enough to hold the wood from which you wish to remove the oil/and or finish. Find something that won't dissolve in the acetone for (5) a tight COVER [no plastics]. Plywood cut to shape and held down with a brick or spring clamps work.

Ideas: The funnels are useful for pouring things about. Paint strainers (paint store or hardware where you got the solvents) help keep the gunk out of the cleared solvents by putting them in the funnels when you do the pouring. The gloves keep the stuff from being absorbed thru yer hide.

First: Put the stock wood in the pan and carefully pour acetone over it, until it is generously covered. Put on the lid. Turn the floating wood over in a couple of days. Again. Leave it for a week, total. The finish should be pretty much gone. Take the wood out and pour off the acetone into a container, where all the gunk will settle to the bottom in a week or so. Pour the clear acetone back in the can it came in. Reuse it as needed.

Second: Now put the wood back in the clean pan and cover it with Alcohol. Same drill for a week. The wood should now be clean right down in every li'l pore, and suitable for glassing the stock head, repairing cracks, applying new finish, and the rest. The alcohol can be cleared by precipitation and time, same as before, and reused.

Last: I like to take some clean alcohol and a small natural bristle brush to scrub up the piece, directly I pull it out. Then, rinse and dry with a clean towel. No sanding needed; the wood should be smooth as....[a baby's butt!;~`)]... could be. It preserves the stamped markings and doesn't raise the grain; or rarely, very little.

HELPFUL STUFF:
Sometimes, rarely, this won't clean stuff the first time. [NOTE: Wonko had never tried old SMLE's, so it may take a couple of soaks, indeed!!!] If ever it doesn't look as though the finish let go into the acetone, the first time, drain it off. Give it another week of fresh acetone. This is also useful for really deeply soaked-in gun oil. Then use the alcohol soak, same as above. No, or very, little sanding needed, the wood will be smooth.
Go from there -- Then say thanks to St. Wonko the Sane. Sacrifice some flyers in his memory, [He was a pigeon-ring shooter] , and put on the finish of your choice. I've heard clarified yak butter is the traditional thing, on the Himalayan rock pigeon circuit. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

For deeply oil soaked wood, the solvents such as acetone, alcohol, or lacquer work well. If the oil and grime is on or near the surface, common household ammonia followed by Tide or Dawn detergent does a good job. Ammonia mixed with oils and fats creates soap, which of course rinses off with hot water. Sometimes you can get away with a partial soak of just the head of the stock in stronger solvents. Common isopropyl rubbing alcohol will remove the finish on many older guns, so they may be shellac or something else that is alcohol soluble.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

cgs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If after soaking in acetone you still have a persistent black stain anywhere on the wood, you have a black water or iron stain.
This is a totally different animal. Use Oxalic Acid (trade name - wood bleach) to remove it. It can be found in some hardware stores and most of the better paint stores. Follow directions and more importantly, precautions.

Best, Dan

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.