March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marc Ret, playing hooky, SKB, 3 invisible), 320 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is great to read all of the posts talking about shooting ethics. It reminds me of The Shooting Sportsmans piece on just that subject. I myself have never counted the number of birds that I have shot and failed to retrieve or paced off a downed bird. I do know I have taken shots that I later wondered WHY? Then again I have made some of them that put a smile on my face as the dog returned with a long retrieve. I guess I am not perfect but then again I know I can agree on the basic ethics of the hunt. The one thing I hope is our stories over the camp fire or around the tailgate won't give the next generation a picture of hunting that doesn't include the pleasure of fine company, good dogs, and respect for our sport. Now its time to start planning the next hunt.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good hunt,,
Ron

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, you're right about wounding being common with birds, and I posted here some time ago that if I were king I would permit hunting them only with dogs, elitest as it is. My buddy and I this year knocked down eleven blacks with one shot each, three over our limit of four blacks each of a bag of five, and within 15 seconds there were seven belly-up and four in 10 acres of bullrushes and reeds. Jake got them.

On Joe's point concerning ethical shooting, each has his own. Joe's aren't mine. To be critical in civil talk, however, is not to trash. Disssent is the gospel; where it is absent is my notion of hell. Canada and the United States are neighbours, friends, biggest trading partners but agree to disagree on many things where national interests are concerned. Canada developed differently because it wanted to be different from Americans.

Trashing another's opinion is immature, and censure of it is a distinguishing mark of this board.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown

Joe, I've lost exactly three birds in a lifetime of duck shooting---

Quite a feat...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
Had the decoys put away and was on the road by 9am and seated at 2311 Wisconsin Avenue in DC by 11am for lunch!!

I dunno what it was in 1981, but it's a gentlemens club today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bagged 7 mallards with one shot back in North Dakota in the fall of 1977. They were on the water and as I snuck up on them through the cattails; I just waited until they swam together and pulled the trigger. 2 were still swimming around in circles and needed a kill shot but when the smoke cleared, I had a lot of ducks to clean. You all know what a shotgun pattern looks like on the water, so you know its possible. 12 gauge Rossi overland with 28 in. tubes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It was a feat, Joe. Many times before ice-up in December when our fathers had the dogs we youngsters would strip naked and swim for birds going nowhere on calm lakes. The three got-aways: one black came down, punched through and slid under ice that my dog couldn't get to and was too dangerous near a tide-rip for me; another bluebill got away in breaking water 200 yards from shore, diving as my dog reached it, and he would have drowned if I hadn't called him in, and the third, another black, was carried off by a bald eagle before Jake had finished his retrieves. All my Labs are named Jake. Needless to say, I'm a zealot about a dog's place in blind and field.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tw

A bud and I grew up laughing about that 600 yd mule deer thing & comparing it in some kind of dianoetic parallel to Herter's catalogue claims.

What a great sentence. The word dianoetic (proceeding to a conclusion by reason or argument rather than intuition)is new to me.

Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

All of my most exemplary shots have been due to proper plan
ning and execution. It's some of the misses I can't explain. Amarillo Mike, where are you?

Last edited by Peter B.; 12/23/07 10:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not my shot but one of the most impressive I have witnessed. I was guiding a rodeo bronc rider for elk in the Alberta Rockies - late November 1992 if I recall correctly. Anyway I had been told that this young buck was a fine shot and tough as nails so we went looking for a big bull elk. We had ridden from spike camp about an hour before daybreak and were in some pretty likely high meadow country when we spotted a herd on a steep slope which stretched toward the sky above. The closest animals were a good 250 yards away. There was a 7 X 7 bull and before we could even dismount and before I could get make a good head appraisal the herd broke for a timbered gultch - they were plenty spooky but don't really think it was us that set them arunnin. The bronc rider quit leather in a blurry second dragging his gun from scabbord, ran 20 feet to the left, away from the trail, swung and fired at the bull which was on a full run. Even though the elk were a long ways off the horiznotal distance wasn't more than 150 yards. Well all h broke loose at the shot that bull came ass over rack just a tumbling down that slope - I counted 11 complete somersaults with that rack acting like a pivot point on every one. An avalanche of snow chased from behind and when that bull hit the bench above the trail he was airborne for 25 feet. He toboganned down the shallow slope below the trail towards a steep gully. Luckily just before he slipped over the edge his rack got caught is some heavy edge brush and that brought him to a halt. The bullet had caught him right below the right ear and of course brought instant death. After climbing that slope to recover pieces of antler broken during the tumble we broke for a smoke. I asked the bronc buster if he had head shot the elk on purpose - not good for trophy and too risky for most - he said actually yes - he practiced quite a bit on running coyotes and treated that elk's head just like he would a coyote.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Peter as soon as I get Joe's shooting straightened out I will have a slot open and I moved your name to the top of the list. I just discovered Joe was closing the wrong eye, I think he will make rapid progress now.

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.