April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, 2 invisible), 777 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,131
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kilibru Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I tried using trig to determine the angles but that's too complicated for me. What are some common methods used to drill the precise holes needed for proper fit of tang screws?

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have the old stock use it as a template for alinging the screws in your drill press. Generally, for the tang area you can fit the action and the trigger guard on the stock and draw a line between the two are align on your drill press. I generally drill from the top half way and the bottom half way to complete the holes. I would be interested to hear how others do it.

Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,
I dunno, but my tool design and making background gave me a flash on shop aid that should be foolproof. I think I've seen a drill jig that places a drill bushing over the desired location and an adjustable thickness slide that has an exit hole indicator.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck is this something you made or is it commercially available?

Jim

Last edited by jjwag69; 12/20/07 01:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,
Just a thought from seeing a drill jig from my distant past. It would have to be made. Not something very elaborate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,
Just a couple aluminum plates with two rods pressed in and a drill bushing at the top with an alignment rod at the bottom.

You'd locate using the tangs and drill in about a 1/8" deep on each end of the stock by freehand. Then put the alignment rod in one hole and the drill thru the bushing and into the other starter hole. Drill away until you run into the alignment rod. Remove the jig and finish drilling.

OB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do it by placing a 60 deg pointed rod, point up in the drill press vise. Then the vise is positioned so that a drill in the chuck meets the rod point dead center and coaxial. Center drill the screw locations just enough to provide a good seat for the rod point.

Using a sharp brad-point drill, place the stock in position on the rod point, hold it firmly, and drill it. The drill will cut until you hit the rod point, so be gentle with the quill handle as you approach full depth.

OB

Sidelock
Sidelock

Others may have a better way, but this has worked for me for many years. Mark the entry location with a small punch to get a dimple to start the drill. Mark and punch the exit location the same way. I have a piece of ¼” drill rod about an inch long with a point ground on one end, this is mounted vertically in the drill press vice. Put the proper size drill bit in the chuck and align it by moving the vice so, when the chuck is lowered, the point of the drill exactly meets the point of the drill rod in the vice. Clamp the vice in this position. Now, mount the stock with the dimple at the exit point sitting on the point of the rod in the vice. Start the drill at the entry point and run through. Since the point of the drill has been aligned with the point of the rod in the vice it should come out right where you want it. Wish I could add a drawing to make it clear but, hopefully you get the idea. Best Regards, Jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kilibru,
Put your calculator away...look around and remember that some of our very best buildings were crafted by men with little of no education...

I have a homemade allignment jig that's not handy to show a photo of...but it's simple enough to describe and easy make or redesign...

I have 4 inch brass carraige bolt that's sharpened to a point, with a nut and two fender washers...you simply screw it together through the centerhole of your drill press table, with the point up...then you carefully allign your drill bit, so that it lines up with the brass point. Using a small centerdrill, carefully start the whole at both ends with an egg beater (be careful if you use a cordless drill)...

then using you drill press, set one started hole on the brass center and drill the other hole, while being carefull to hold the stock steady.

I drill it undersize then ream it out with the correct drill bit in a cordless when I'm actually fitting the screw.

Fast, accurate, and inexpensive.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Grampajack and OB posted while I was typing...I feel like the Department of Redundancy Department...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.