May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hal M Hare, LetFly, GETTEMANS, Marks_21), 685 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,593
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Need some help from the board w/ getting some tooling for tinkering when I get home. I'm looking for the following items from a single or multiple sources that have reasonable prices.

-Gravers/handles (I've been using the progress tools web site – Mr Hurst, any suggestions?)
-Screw head files #1 and #2 sizes (Brownells $35 ea progress tools-$16 ea)
-Screw counter sinks (for shaping the screw heads and tapering the screw holes-like seen in Shotgun Technicana)
-Fine thread dies and taps - metric and standard
-Good source for screw blanks-like those from a trigger guard and/or top strap

Just asking as I've nothing but time for the next few months to build up tool supplies. I'd like to piddle with these once I get back just to have some fun.

Dan
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dam, I use mo-max cobalt tool bits for my cutting tools and make my handles to suit. Try Brownells cat for other choices. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
OP Offline

Ken
Thanks...I've worn out the Brownell's catalog from "looking" over the past months. The Progress Tool site seemed to have good quality but you never know. I thought asking others would help.

You input is a biggie.

Dan
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan:

Are you over there dodging bullets for us?

Here is a place to get non standard taps. They have a serious selection.

http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/index.html

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

DAN ---- once you get back, call me and we'll talk over what you'll need & don't need. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
OP Offline

Thanks guys....
Can't say we're dodging bullets. This is my first tour in the rear area, not having to worry about the next day's missions and if the guys will get home safe. A nice gift from my boss' for the 4 previous tours. I'll take what is given, say a prayer for those that are up north, and do my best with the job at hand.

Still, we all miss our families, but we keep each others spirits up. This web page, DGJ, SSM, and the sporting journal have helped. E-mails from my 14 and 15 year old sons about "What the bird dogs ate/dug up/destroyed today" keep a smile on my face too. The wife hounding me (as a good wife should) about letting them know where Uncle Sam will be sending me next also keeps me on my toes.

All and all, a very normal military family.

Ken, I'll take you up on the offer. I've nearly worn out my GRS VCR tapes. They make it look easy, but I know the best way to improve is to move some metal. A few hours watching you push a graver around would be worth it's weight in gold.

Dan
Sidelock
Sidelock

TG,
Thanks and Merry Christmas to you, your family and your comrades
from my family - we thank you for keeping us safe.

Brent

For all kinds of good parts (springs especially) and tools look at McMaster Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com

OP Offline

Brent
I know McMaster Carr very well. I'd over looked them in my search (answer right in front of you type thing).

I am still looking for a ready made tool that may be used to put a taper on new screw heads to match the angle on old/new holes that have a counter sink taper.

Just asking, and again, thanks everyone.

Dan
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan:

Please accept our sincere thanks for the sacrifices you and your family are making on our behalf. The older I get the more I appreciate the price you brave folk are paying and the value of your work.

To answer your question, I know of no tool for shaping the underside of a screw head to mate with the countersink. That kind of thing is typically done on a lathe with a single point tool. Lacking a lathe it could be done in a drill press by putting the screw in the chuck and using a file to shape the head.

As for engraving, the secret to that is simple. You have to take your shoes off. Ain't no one can engrave without bare feet. You put a pair of shoes on Mr. Hurst and he becomes all thumbs.

Best regards,

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan, I found this: Gravers
that came from a bookmarked page I got off The Board some time ago,
Engraving School that has a lot of interesting stuff.

Best wishes and I too thank you.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.