March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (battle, AZMike, FlyChamps, 12boreman, Borderbill, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,007
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: William E Apperson
I measured an older sxs hammer gun for a customer. The gun was made in Batavia NY.

The chambers accept my inserts that I made to specs i.e. 10 ga.shells;however the barrels measure .744".

The barrels have been tampered, that is: long forcing cones and way too smooth damascus bores.What is the verdict?

Better idea....yOu tell us.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn't Lang make a 20 bore with 12 gauge chambers? Maybe a version of the same idea - 10 chambers with 12 bore. I really don't have any historic record or even an article to support this but sure is interesting. Would be nice to see a photo to see how thick the chamber walls are.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I will ask the owner to bring the gun back and I will measure the wall thickness. As in a better idea--,if I knew the answer, I would not have asked.d U h.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To start the elimination proccess, a measurement of the wall thickness and the designation stamped on the watertable or barrels flats will be needed.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

A question much like this came up some several months ago. The question was from me.
I had looked at a gun that had 16 gauge chambers and 20 gauge barrels. Walls were right as were the bore sizes, forcing cones and chamber length was correct for the period. As I remember it, the gun did not seem to have been futzed with but I was leery of it and did not buy.
We never came up with a reasonable explanation for it, though.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You know if you have a felt wad, 10 gauge shell and 12 bore it will work just fine. Might have been ordered by a live bird or hunter with very special ideas about what would shoot a real tight pattern. Bore diamaters are all over the place on doubles. Add honing to get out pits and you never know what they started out as in the first place. There was also the chambering that was for what we think of as non standard shells before they became a standard size.

I wonder how well the gun patterns with felt wadding and lead shot? I have seen some real strange combos in my travels. Two rear beads, one rear, one middle and one front bead on the same gun. You never know. 10/12?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an old W Richards side lever opener which is chambered for 12ga & has the bores marked 14. It was built prior to chamber marking so does not have the nominal chamber marked. Bores now measure just under 13ga, so have no real idea as to just what they were when new. Proofs are Birmingham as best as I can tell, could be counterfeit.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have owned several 10ga's.

The tightest bores were on an English hammergun. As I remember they were .755". I had the wall thickness measured when I bought it but didn't get around to measuring the bores until I borrowed a friends bore gauge. Shot plenty of felt and plastic wad loads through it before I knew the bore diameters and did the same afterword.

I assume the current owner is doing the same.

Mike
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pitted 12ga chambers reamed to 10ga?

Just my shot in the dark.

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a 12 gauge Crescent that had cylinder barrels at .701/.702. I figure that they’d just made the pass to cut the barrels to choke size and then forget (maybe went to lunch or it was a shift change) to bore out the rest of the barrels to .729. That’s my guess and I’m sticking to it!
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.