May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, Guy Ave, bigblock, 1 invisible), 777 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,501
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,
Please allow me to purchase the book from you plus whatever you want for handling. The truth is, I've always admired the guy's ability to speak carefully, accurately and not leap to conclusions as I so often do. If his book is anything like his past posts, I'm sure it's worth whatever price he asks. I didn't know that he had a book out or I would have bought a copy already. Should you decide not to accept my offer, hopefully I can get a copy from Sarah Loos, the gun book dealer.

Sorry I rocked the boat...I'm especially sorry that you find it so upsetting. Please don't take the bantering to heart. Larry purposely stepped on my crank, so I purposely stomped on his.
He knows now, that I rarely post info that I can't back up with reference or photo, and hopefully he's got whatever out of his system. The academic foibles of Larry and especially myself, won't reflect in his writing abilities.
Pick any other member on this board and read his past posts for comparison. You'll find Larry (Larry's stuff) is consistantly in the top 5% of many well researchered contributors. I know some about French and Belgian guns...and I can tell you, Larry's posts are accurate, or he shuts up.

Personally, I can't imagine how you could go wrong with a book by Larry Brown...but I doubt he would sell me a copy now that I stomped him twice as hard as he stomped me.

Try to look at it from a different perspective...as with all academic pursuits, often things become competitive and the ability of the researchers is tested against one and other...trial by fire if you will...it's not necessarily an unhealthy part of the process.

You know what they say...if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.....although it might have been better if we both stayed on the porch this time.

Seriously, it doesn't get much better around here than Larry's stuff...how much do you want for the book?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert,
Thank you for this post. I hope we can all heal and move toward better things.

Last edited by Walter C. Snyder; 12/04/07 08:21 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well done Robert...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've read at least a thousand posts by Larry Brown, and one by Marc Stokeld.
I'll take Larry any day of the week!

Todd
Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert:
You climbed way up on the ladder of respect with your post.
There have not been more than a few researchers, in your class, that have readily posted here. Thanks for that sharing and your decision to join the gentle ones.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said Mr. Chambers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert, very classy move. My hat is off to you sir.

I too have exchanged jabs with Larry on other boards and while he is relentless at times, he has always been respectful, knowledgeable, and courteous with me. I enjoy his writings on guns and hunting, and consider him to be a valuable asset on forums like this.

Lastly, Mark I also agree that some of these "pissing matches" can get old --but then again I do not have to read them and choose not to most of the time. Censorship, however invoked, I do not believe is the answer.

Last edited by David Dabaco; 12/04/07 01:44 AM.

David
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I always did say that everyone has the right to get a hair up his rumpus once in a while. What really scared me, Robert, when you said you were going to check all of Larry's posts for accuracy if he didn't apologize. I hope no one ever does that to me. I'd be sunk. Which brings to mind what my grandmother always used to tell me, "A bee in my bonnet is worth a push in the bush." I hope you all remember that. Best wishes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll bid a dollar more...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I thought the first 3 posters had a good idea, so I was going to just let this thread die. I see where others wanted to keep on. Folks were complimenting RObert, so I just "unignored" him.

Mr. CHambers-
I applaud your tone in the post above.

You know far more about the history of of our passion than I would ever know in three lifetimes. YOu have information just bouncing around in your head that goes far beyond what I could look up in ten hours of searching. If anyone can add to this board, it is you. I am sorry that you find folks' posts as personal attacks on you at times. I have never read it that way, but then we all interpret things based on our life's experiences. I urge you to keep spreading your vast knowledge of our passion and stick to the facts.

Mr. Brown-

I have always read your posts and articles. I thought enough of your knowledge and work to buy your book last week. Also, when you and RObert started your last tit-for-tat, I had Volume 1 Issue 2 of the DGJ n my coffee table with your article on doubles for pheasants bookmarked. Yes, I was in the process of going through the Index and Readers and looking up your old articles. THAT is how much I respected you and your knowledge.

But then the last tiff started. I was taught from my earliest memories that gentlemen do not act as you do. When someone says soemthing rediculous to me, that the appropriate response from a gentleman is to just ignore it. This was literally beat into me. The reason is that people around you will see your true character. If you have to tell people how you "are," then you really "are not." If you have to tell people you have class, knowledge, or whatever, then you don't.

You used to not post like this. I saw it most when dealing with Mr. CHambers. But I also found it happening all year long in other threads. As I mentioend earlier, I am now disabled. Many days I cannot leave the house, so I read a lot. In doing near daily searches on this board, I found you tit-for-tatting any time someone disagreed with you. From my upobringing, your actions are unbecoming to a gentleman.

For a good example of this behavior, go look up all of the "XXV" and "25'" threads from earlier this year. You made personal attacks when someone disagreed with you, even though they were saying nothing about you personally. just because they had different life experiences and opinions than you, you had to put them down. You did not do this three years ago. And anytime Robert says soemthing sorta cross to you, then you pounce back.

What changed? Why do it now? Again, from my earliest days, I was taught that you never "stoop to their level" and always maintain your normal moral position. So why did you stop doing that? In the past I always considered you above this.

I am still agreeing with the first three posters in this thread that let's just let it die. I don't know why others want to keep it going. i posted this out of sheer frustration of having this board hi-jacked every day. Folks, let it end here.

Larry, feel free to email me if you like. My address is in my profile. I sincerely hope "old Larry" will come back.

skunk out
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.