May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 238 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,556
Posts546,278
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful work, Doug!

Hope you don't mind my asking, but the rise of the comb nose on the Daly looks pretty substantial. I know you advocate bending the tangs on the Foxes...was that not a consideration for the Daly? Or am I out in the weeds, and it's not as pronounced as the pic has me believing?

thanks, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, Part of what you see is the angle at which I took the photo, part of it is the style that I chose to use for the front of the comb. This style is closer to the original than if I had layed the angle back like I do on a Fox. The drop at the comb and heel is also different than the original Dalys in that this is the gun that I use to shoot clays with.

Dalys or any of the Sauer actioned guns for that matter don't lend themselves to tang bending like a Fox does. Foxes as you know are simple inside and have a very simple safety. Dalys on the other hand have a sculptured safety that must have taken the gunsmith hours if not days to make.

I guess what I'm saying is that I chose not to do any bending of the Daly's tang. I'm probably better off for that decision.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug, very, very nice and a beautiful design. Did you use your own design. Also what kind of checkering tools are the three center see through ones?

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,

Thanks for that very satisfactory reply!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you JDW. Yes, I design my own checkering patterns and just draw them on the stock with a "china marker'. Thanks to a good friend of mine I now have china markers in all the important colors (black,white, red and yellow). I know there are other methods to draw patterns on stocks but i've been doing it this way for so long I just can't see myself changing.

The three handles in the center are W.E. Brownell "full view" handles that I've used for many years. I use Gunline tips in these handles and am pretty happy with them. As Mark Stokeld says the W.E.Brownells cutters that you can buy now are garbage. The tool with the engravers handle on it is a file that I ground the tip to a 45 degree angle and I use it to make and clean out mullered borders with.

Last edited by Doug Mann; 12/01/07 11:33 PM.

Doug Mann
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

That has to be some of the prettier work ever, Doug. I really like the treatment for your personal Fox and I can only smile when I think of all the words written about how having a border on chequering is a sign of inferior work. Obviously none of those guys ever saw any of yours!

Sidelock
Sidelock

How to get started.
Buy two coarse and two fine single line cutters and four handles. One pair is push and the other is pull, mark the the handles. Take a Citori and point up the checkering on the whole thing.

Doug's post and amazing work is about "how to be finished checkering" . He probably doesn't use dymo tape as straight border layout/runover protection....but I do. Could of used straight borders here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I must admit, Mr. Mann's work does show some promise. If he keeps at it, well shucks, who knows how far he could go?
Being ever supportive of budding talent, I am going to send him this rifle blank to practice on...

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.

Glen,

That is some stock blank. Phew!!! Hubba Hubba!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Yeti
How to get started.
Buy two coarse and two fine single line cutters and four handles. One pair is push and the other is pull, mark the the handles

Yeti (& others),

Though I've seen mention of cutting on the push stroke, I've always installed all my cutters to cut only on the pull. Can you elaborate on where/when you like to cut on the forward stroke?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.