May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, ClapperZapper, SKB, battle, 2 invisible), 530 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,429
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Many have asked about certain dealers or individuals who sell guns and their records of performance, trustworthyness, honesty, etc.

what is the risk that one would run if they were to post a series of emails bewteen a seller and a buyer and it shows promises made but not kept (lies) and disengenuosu pratcices. would there be any legal risks involved.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not if they are factual and you can demonstrate that. It still doesn't keep someone from trying to make an allegation stick. I would guess most people who visit this forum would like to hear
about shady practices involving our passion.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Emails can be faked and/or altered, thus are not legal proof in court - unless they were taken from an impounded computer in some cases, or the server. If you repost alleged emails on the forum and someone thinks it damaged their character and/or business, then they may be able to execute a successful suit.
If you posted the generalities of the incident, and then sent detailed emails to those expressing a more detailed interest, I would think you would minimize the risk.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not believe posting honest historic emails without any comments which mischaracterize them can create a liable or slander case. Now the issue of a privacy invasion is a different matter. I simply don't know if there are any privacy rights to emails sent to an individual. Jake

Last edited by Jakearoo; 11/03/07 09:40 PM.

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone can sue pretty much anybody for pretty much anything. That's the bad news. But in a case like that you describe, it would be interesting to see how the dealer reacted, as the bigger the deal he makes of it, the worse the PR could get for him, especially if lots of other guys have had similar experiences and start weighing-in. I'm curious to hear more thoughts and experiences on this. Many here may be in the same boat, but I've had similar questions and concerns, in the aftermath of my own dealings with a particularly unsavory (and well known) dealer I had the misfortune to do business with. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nobody is going to sue anybody over what is said here. No ordinary mortal could bear the cost and the intricacies of proof would be unwieldy. Look at the trouble celebs have with the Enquirer. If someone's rotten, most of us want the blab on it, go for it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can always state "your opinion" and use the phrase, "I believe" when you say something. Can't get you for slander if you state your opinions or beliefs and/or show why you feel the way you do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not that simple, Jimmy. The US is the most litigious country on earth. Canada and the UK are lenient by comparison concerning defamation, libel and slander--- and costs. Truth and what you believe matter naught. If you said out of pure malice I had a contagious venerial disease or was a wife-beater or pedophile, holding me to public ridicule, even if true you'd likely lose. I do not believe that a straight, accurate description of a transaction would land anyone in court. Let readers make up their minds. Just leave the liar fireworks out of it. A lie is something you say that you know not to be true. Don't imply motives or intent. A complaint framed in the public interest always trumps spite and spleen.

Last edited by King Brown; 11/03/07 11:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
Truth and what you believe matter naught. If you said out of pure malice I had a contagious venerial disease or was a wife-beater or pedophile, holding me to public ridicule, even if true you'd likely lose.

Defamation (libel or slander), by definition, must involve a factually false statement. If what you write is factually true, it cannot be libel. Also if what you say cannot be determined to be factually false (if for example it is an opinion) then it cannot be defamation.

I might invade your privacy by telling others that you have a disease, and be liable for invading privacy, but it will not be libel.

Last edited by erik meade; 11/03/07 11:53 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Slander" and "Libel" redirect here. For other uses, see Slander (disambiguation) and Libel (disambiguation).
For "liable", see Liability.
In law, defamation is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may harm the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government or nation. Most jurisdictions allow legal actions, civil and/or criminal, to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against criticism.

The common law origins of defamation lie in the torts of slander (harmful statement in a transitory form, especially speech) and libel (harmful statement in a fixed medium, especially writing but also a picture, sign, or electronic broadcast), each of which gives a common law right of action.

"Defamation" is the general term used internationally, and is used in this article where it is not necessary to distinguish between "slander" and "libel". Libel and slander both require publication. The fundamental distinction between libel and slander lies solely in the form in which the defamatory matter is published. If the offending material is published in some fleeting form, as by spoken words or sounds, sign language, gestures and the like, then this is slander. If it is published in more durable form, for example in written words, film, compact disc (CD), DVD, blogging and the like, then it is considered libel.

> Jim Legg <

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.