May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 816 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, how many of you have read this book? I still have mine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

While I had personally owned a high grade 21 with two bbls. I did not like it. I respect the fine quality and the durability of the gun. My issue was it just did not feel lively as compared to other guns. The same for Krieghoff, to me I like the liveliness of a Perazzi better.

Fortunately we have choices.

John
Quality Arms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Amen, John. It cannot be explained. It has to be experienced.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a sxs guy I’ve owned the Schwing book for years. I appreciate the photos as much as the information.

I went thru a big American Classic period and owned a few of the major brands - Ithaca, L.C. Smith and Fox. I shoot my guns, but never shot them hard like I would a modern o/u. They all broke. I got sick of fixing them so I bought a pair of BSS shotguns, a 12 and a 20. Incredibly well built and the 20 handles well, but that 30” 12 gauge is like driving a bus without power steering. I shot it well, but it didn’t give me that feeling that a well balanced sxs can. Just over a year ago I test drove a 32” M21 Duck. Oh, my. 7lb 13oz of long, svelte lovely shotgun. The first time I shot it I won the sporting clays event at the Duluth Double gun. It’s a 2 barrel set with the 32s having Briley thin walls and the 26” barrels are IC/Mod. I can run the skeet field easily with either set of barrels. I had it restocked to fit me with exhibition black walnut and it’s stunning. Just got it all done 2 weeks before the Duluth shoot this year. I shot it even better and won the whole shoot! A long barreled Duck is a delightful 12 gauge with fabulous handling qualities. A 32” Trap with a vent rib and a proper trap stock feels like a big American gun and will go 8.5lb - an entirely different feeling gun.

21s tend to affect many people strongly. I wasn’t a big fan until I started handling the lighter weight 12s with long barrels. A double trigger/extractor 16 or 20 gauge with light barrels does have game gun handling, but these are not common nor are they what collectors want. They are well built guns that you can shoot hard and they hold their value. I’m not giving mine up!

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
1 member likes this: Gunflint Charlie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by arrieta2
While I had personally owned a high grade 21 with two bbls. I did not like it. I respect the fine quality and the durability of the gun. My issue was it just did not feel lively as compared to other guns. The same for Krieghoff, to me I like the liveliness of a Perazzi better.

Fortunately we have choices.

John
Quality Arms

You are rightarrieta2. The model 21 can be heavy to carry in the field in the fall on a cold morning. Some people even refer to them as being clunky. And I know there is a world of difference with a 12 gauge Model 21 and say, my Browning Citori. I guess for me, part of it is carrying a Model 21 for a beater and I enjoy the history of the Winchester being an American Gun. It all kind of falls together for me. I don't have the experience of having a Krieghoff in the field, but I know that their trap guns are a heavier gun. Never owned a Perazzi either, but some of my friends have. And they seem to like them. As you say, we have choices. And you have made some good ones. Good luck..

Last edited by Jimmy W; 07/31/23 11:29 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by JNW
As a sxs guy I’ve owned the Schwing book for years. I appreciate the photos as much as the information.

I went thru a big American Classic period and owned a few of the major brands - Ithaca, L.C. Smith and Fox. I shoot my guns, but never shot them hard like I would a modern o/u. They all broke. I got sick of fixing them so I bought a pair of BSS shotguns, a 12 and a 20. Incredibly well built and the 20 handles well, but that 30” 12 gauge is like driving a bus without power steering. I shot it well, but it didn’t give me that feeling that a well balanced sxs can. Just over a year ago I test drove a 32” M21 Duck. Oh, my. 7lb 13oz of long, svelte lovely shotgun. The first time I shot it I won the sporting clays event at the Duluth Double gun. It’s a 2 barrel set with the 32s having Briley thin walls and the 26” barrels are IC/Mod. I can run the skeet field easily with either set of barrels. I had it restocked to fit me with exhibition black walnut and it’s stunning. Just got it all done 2 weeks before the Duluth shoot this year. I shot it even better and won the whole shoot! A long barreled Duck is a delightful 12 gauge with fabulous handling qualities. A 32” Trap with a vent rib and a proper trap stock feels like a big American gun and will go 8.5lb - an entirely different feeling gun.

21s tend to affect many people strongly. I wasn’t a big fan until I started handling the lighter weight 12s with long barrels. A double trigger/extractor 16 or 20 gauge with light barrels does have game gun handling, but these are not common nor are they what collectors want. They are well built guns that you can shoot hard and they hold their value. I’m not giving mine up!
Good story, JNW. I have been looking for a BSS lately myself. Great to hear from you!!

Last edited by Jimmy W; 08/01/23 12:00 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The closest I am to a 21 is a Canadian Centennial Model 23. I do like it. I also have a pair of Browning BSS's in 12 and 20 that I like a lot also. Like John said, it is good that we have choices!! Would I ever buy a 21?? Maybe, but the price would have to be verrrrryyy right!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

As much as I would like to own a Model 21 Skeet grade in either 16 or 20 gauge, the cost is just too much. Overpriced, actually. I realize that is the case with most if not all of the big-name vendors, but I can buy a very nice gun for a lot less than a Model 21 that in all honesty is most likely not original. Regardless of what the ad may say...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I find people to be heavily opinionated on these subjects--- right, wrong, doesn't really matter to me, the stronger opinions sometimes seem silly in my opinion and I often apprecaite the chuckle. I remain impressed, but not enamoured with the 21. I want to love it, but it plays too new, too modern, for me. You can feel it. They feel very good in my opinion. So do many, many modern Over/ Unders. Yeah I said it. There are truckloads of great guns out there. I still can't understand the price hikes for "Grades" TRAP, ,SKEET, DUCK are all the same base model gun in my opinion. I have had 4 16ga 21s. All felt great and could have done anything I will ever need from a shotgun, but the first three didn't feel better than the stack of bills they were traded for. I bought a 4th (30 in, DT, Full and xfull chokes, extractors ) when I discovered 20 cases of 16 ga shotsells while cleaning out my barn. I am determined to shoot a case or two through it before I give in to the temptation of selling another 16 ga 21!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good afternoon Mark.
When the time is right, I'd be interested in your 16 gauge 30 incher!'
It'll go nicely with my 20 gauge 30 incher

Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BTW, I’ve got a signed hardcover in the library
and a paperback on my desk in my office.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.