April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Karl Graebner, Marks_21, Kolar Dickson, FlyChamps, 2 invisible), 765 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

How was the pheasant hunting in South Dakota this first weekend?

What is the weather?

My group is going up this coming weekend; hopefully there will be a few birds left...

JERRY

Boxlock
Boxlock

Bump for Jerry, I am about 10 days out from a solo effort in that direction too. Let's hear what you guys have seen, good, bad or otherwise.....

Dave
dnj21

Huge numbers of pheasants this year. They were a road hazard all summer. Now they are smart finally. The weather slowed the opening slaughter as it has slowed harvest. I look for it to get to be much better hunting from now on. My 13 year old and I were out tonight for an hour. saw 40+ and shot 1 each. A fun hunt!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would be interested in any further reports. I leave 11/11 for a week and will hunt areas near Chamberlain and Mitchell, SD. Is Cabelas well stocked with 12/20 No. 5's?

Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Jerry,
Just returned from a Mon. & Tues. hunt in the Huron area.
My experience would support the S.D.F.G. department's population estimates. Many, many wild pheasants.
Due to the wet conditions in the Huron area, putting birds in the bag was a bit more challenging this year
compared to the previous 2 years. Lot's of corn still in the fields. All of the cornfields we walked did not
have strips harvested so birds would just escape out the sides. We concentrated efforts in sloughs/wetlands
and had lots of good shooting. Due to the delayed harvest, I would say there will be a few birds left for you to bag.
I also noticed many more first season cock-birds this year compared to last, which was great to see.
Good luck and good hunting.
Jim

Just returned from the Winner area. Good numbers of birds but the mud gave us fits. But we killed a limit in 1 1/2 hour Monday.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just got back from 3 days in the Mitchell area. Again this year great birds!!! Group of about 16 limited each day with no problem.
Bob Jurewicz

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just returned from the Mobridge area last night. After the exceptional draught last year and no birds we were a bit hesitant to return. The DNR said numbers were up, double the ten year average. We saw 50+ birds daily, but, the high winds had them flushing wild and offered few shots. We did get birds, but, they acted like they had been hunted hard for a month already! Great fun! Shirt sleeve hunting weather and the steaks at the Moose Lodge are great!

Hairy

This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Matthew Quigley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm just back lastnight after a 3 day drive home from the area about 8 miles SW of Huron. My friend's family farm had been muddied up with all the rain and we hunted mostly weed patches, reeds, and grasslands...much to my pleasure, as I really despise the typical cornfield hunt. These weed, reed, and grass fields were also very swampy but there were so many birds in them that I slogged in them very willingly. My Lab dog and I, along with all the others of my party were rewarded richly.

I had shot enough birds to reach the point that by monday, I simply took out my camera and handled my dog for the group while shooting pics of them. I had never thought I would get to that point, but there was plenty of reward for me in taking the pics and watching my dog work for everyone.

So, yes, the birds are more plentiful around Huron/Mitchell this year and there are plenty left for you later hunters.

Cabelas Mitchell store had plenty of #5s in 12 and 20 when I was there on Friday last week.

GO! ENJOY! Bring back some stories.

Last edited by Chuck H; 10/26/07 09:03 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Chuck, I will report on our hunt when we return. I will be in the Chamberlain area for 3 days and near Mitchell for 3 days beginning November 11. First stop Cabela's for some #5's!

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.