April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (graybeardtmm3, Ducks Rx, Stanton Hillis, Jimmy W, Fudd, 1 invisible), 465 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,478
Posts545,199
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61072 10/14/07 06:02 PM
Dave K Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As suprising as it may be,and I suspect there may be just a few others here with the same thing,I have upon reaching 50 and enjoying shooting sports for most of my adult life,developed some hearing issues.Not counting the ones my wife complains about,my main one is the direction and volume of sounds.Been toying with one of those game ears for hunting,mostly for deer but will use to help hear the bells on the dogs while missing partridge.
Question is,which one.There are the in the ear ones and the muffs.What have others found work best for them?Also best place to buy them.
Thanks in advance,
Dave K

Last edited by Dave K; 10/14/07 06:03 PM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

In-canal, Starkey Magnum Ear, from your audiologist.

If you don't have an audiologist, you will need one soon enough.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In-canal, Starkey Magnum Ear, from your audiologist.

If you don't have an audiologist, you will need one soon enough.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry about the double post. Site is giving me the "this page cannot be displayed" message when I hit "submit."

Sidelock
Sidelock

The two custom in-ear ones (EAR ad the other one that I forget right now) are very good, espcially the newer digital models BUT they are EXPENSIVE.

A few years ago I paid around $600 for a pair of analog ones and the digitals were about $2k.

Essentially they are very high quality custom adjustable hearng aids with ultra-high speed cutoffs to protect hearing when loud noises are encountered. They provide plenty of protection for shotguns but may not be enough for magnum handguns/rifles in close quarters.

I also have a pair of Peltor electronic muffs that work well and sound natural. they are a lot cheaper. downside is you have to wear plastic earmuffs. not bad in cold weather but will cook your brain when you get heated up. they may not fit well with your hat on.

Courtesy of a WOMBAT
* (Waste Of Money Brains And Talent)

YMMV
KBE Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

I've tried three brands and found E.S.P. to be the best for hunting. They located the microphone toward the front and therefore it does not pick up wind noise. I have the analog model and it is just fine. Another brand that I tried was very brassy and rattling leaf noise would drown out everything.

KBE #61218 10/15/07 03:41 PM
Dave K Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the good posts,will certainly have to look into this further than I first thought.I see no one seems to have gone the Walkers Game ear route which you hear about the most,I am guessing its just like everything else in you get what you pay for.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Walker outside the ear units work well but are annoying and uncomfortable. You will go thrugh a lot of their foam plugs since ear wax makes them dirty fast and they cannot be cleaned easily.

Walker in the ear units are nice but are made of hard plastic. They either fit or they don't. It is a lot of money to find out the hard way that your canals are too small,etc to get a good fit.

I have Sport Ear in the ear type which are similar to the Walkers but are of a softer material. A little better for fit. They are color coded for each ear.

Over the ear muffs with electonics are the best because they cover the bones around your ears which transmits sound also. They are horrible in the summer or even warm days. Mine cost aruond $60 and work well. Unless you get the best, ones that attenuate but do not clip, pistol shooting is out because of multiple shots keep them turned off for the duration of the string of shots. If you are talking to someone, you will miss half a sentence.

If you plan to have them a long time and don't want to spend too much money (they are all expensive) the analog fitted in the ear seem to be the best bet. ESP and E.A.R are two names that come to mind.

Best,
Milt

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Get top of the line Pro-Ears and you'll never regret it.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I have had a Walker game ear for years. I agree; they are not very good. They definitely amplify woods sounds but are uncomfortable, ESPECIALLY with the cheap yellow ear plugs that come with them. The first thing I did was to toss them and make up a new one using a pink/orange Howard Leight tapered foam plug, which are the best available. V comfortable. The unit still seemed a PITA. I was hunting in fairly populated area and every 747 that came over blasted my hearing. I never seem to wear it anymore. I've gotten more use out of it in large lecture halls where I have to sit in the back and just use it as a regular hearing aid. It works great there. They'd be better used in both ears while hunting also as you hear well from the woods on the side of the unit but not from the other which seems very odd at the time. I bought the Peltor tactical muffs when they first came available and absolutely love them but want to go for an in the ear unit now so I can fit a fur hat on while shooting in the winter.

Last edited by Richard Flanders; 10/16/07 06:25 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.