April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, Jimmy W, FlyChamps, skeettx, Gunning Bird), 1,078 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,136
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
OP Offline

Hi Guys,

I'm thumbing through the Filson catalog and the Waterfowl Upland Coat has caught my eye. I'm wondering if anyone has bought one, and if they could tell me if they got the Shelter Cloth or Tin Cloth version. I'm inclined to get the Tin Cloth, as I'd use it everywhere. However, I'd like to know just how durable the Shelter Cloth version is as well. I'm assuming weight is the only difference between the two? (Or maybe the Tin Cloth version is a bit more stiff at first?) They cost the same, and since I haven't gotten "over the hill" yet, I figure this would be the last coat I'd buy (unless my waistline expands, but a diet is cheaper than an new Filson coat. )

Mike Doerner

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thing about that coat...if you get tired of wearing it you can 'stand' it in the corner.

Filson makes durable stuff...not the warmest or most comfortable but durable.
I've got three Filsom hunting vests two Tin cloth and one Green one I think that's the shelter cloth...it's only a few years old and getting pretty ragged.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike:

I don't own a Waterfowl coat, but I have many of Filson's products. Here in the South, it has to be a terrible day weather wise to wear the Tin Cloth. But given a nasty day here, wearing Tin Cloth with an oil finish will repeal about everything but Black Locust tree thorns. Shelter Cloth is just how they describe it as being material from a tent. There's like 3 or 4 oz(per yard I assume) difference. I mostly use their Featherweight shirts and boots on a daily basis. When it's cold here or if I'm hunting in Kansas, I pull out the Shelter Cloth.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 10/07/07 10:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of their stuff seems fugly, stiff, heavy,...... fit only for commercial fisherman. Who want's a piece of clothing that lasts "forever"?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

I have tons of Filson Stuff including tin cloth coats and shelter cloth. I find the tin cloth to be over kill for the most part. Both are best used in cold weather. If it is hot out you will sweat your but off in either. The shelter cloth will protect well enough from most briars in my expierence. I have the shelter cloth pants with the tin face for many years and they are still going strong. The longer you have their stuff the better it looks and the etter it feels. BTW I like stuff to last forever.

Bill G.

OP Offline

After further reading, shelter cloth is more water repellent than tin cloth. That does it for me, I'll get the shelter cloth.

Mike Doerner

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a "packer's coat" which is made from Tin Cloth. 'had it for maybe 10 yrs. It still stands up by itself (stiff as a board). The colder it gets, the stiffer it gets. It also is like a fresh licked totsie-pop dropped on the ground for picking up debris. I've never thought it provided particularly good insulation in the cold either. All said, it's an expensive coat that weighs a lot, uncomfortably stiff, and does a poor job of keeping you warm. But it keeps you dry.

I've never tried to shoot a long gun with it on, but I doubt it'd be easy or comfortable.

Last edited by Chuck H; 10/08/07 06:12 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those English "oil rags" are expensive and may have feel of used condom after exposure to wet weather, but at least that stuff is comfortable and allows plenty of freedom in arm movement. My mother uses one for gardening. She had it for about 15 years.
As for most of that Filson stuff they would have to pay me to wear their drabs.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have a packer coat that Chuck describes. I got it on a return or some kind of "misplaced item" deal when I sold Filson. It is a tad too small for me so I can't wear it with an undergarment such as a sweater in cold weather. It really has no use. I wonder if the Tin Cloth can be softened up a bit if it is washed (not recommended in the directions)? I wonder if it can be washed about five times and show some sign of a more friendly garment? Anyone ever try this?

Sidelock
Sidelock

They'll keep you dry...only till the sweat from your body condenses on the inside.

Filson makes nice bags...game vests, long johns and hats....and cloths for lumber jAcks.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.