May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (KY Jon, Jimmy W), 1,099 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Greg Tag said:
Quote:
Little Israel totally surrounded on all sides by people who make no bones about the fact ( in the Arab press) that they intend to wipe Israel off the face of the map at the earliest opportunity.

Poor "little" Israel has approximately 300 nukes, I think they're quite capable of taking care of themselves. I wonder where they got those??

FAREWELL ADDRESS (1796)
George Washington

"In the execution of such a plan nothing is more essential than that permanent, inveterate antipathies against particular nations and passionate attachments for others should be excluded, and that in place of them just and amicable feelings toward all should be cultivated. The nation which indulges toward another an habitual hatred or an habitual fondness is in some degree a slave. It is a slave to its animosity or to its affection, either of which is sufficient to lead it astray from its duty and its interest. Antipathy in one nation against another disposes each more readily to offer insult and injury, to lay hold of slight causes of umbrage, and to be haughty and intractable when accidental or trifling occasions of dispute occur.

So, likewise, a passionate attachment of one nation for another produces a variety of evils. Sympathy for the favorite nation, facilitating the illusion of an imaginary common interest in cases where no real common interest exists, and infusing into one the enmities of the other, betrays the former into a participation in the quarrels and wars of the latter without adequate inducement or justification. It leads also to concessions to the favorite nation of privileges denied to others, which is apt doubly to injure the nation making the concessions by unnecessarily parting with what ought to have been retained, and by exciting jealousy, ill will, and a disposition to retaliate in the parties from whom equal privileges are withheld; and it gives to ambitious, corrupted, or deluded citizens (who devote themselves to the favorite nation) facility to betray or sacrifice the interests of their own country without odium, sometimes even with popularity, gilding with the appearances of a virtuous sense of obligation, a commendable deference for public opinion, or a laudable zeal for public good the base or foolish compliances of ambition, corruption, or infatuation....

Against the insidious wiles of foreign influence (I conjure you to believe me, fellow-citizens) the jealousy of a free people ought to be constantly awake, since history and experience prove that foreign influence is one of the most baneful foes of republican government. But that jealousy, to be useful, must be impartial, else it becomes the instrument of the very influence to be avoided, instead of a defense against it. Excessive partiality for one foreign nation and excessive dislike of another cause those whom they actuate to see danger only on one side, and serve to veil and even second the arts of influence on the other. Real patriots who may resist the intrigues of the favorite are liable to become suspected and odious, while its tools and dupes usurp the applause and confidence of the people to surrender their interests.

It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far, I mean, as we are now at liberty to do it, for let me not be understood as capable of patronizing infidelity to existing engagements. I hold the maxim no less applicable to public than to private affairs that honesty is always the best policy. I repeat, therefore, let those engagements be observed in their genuine sense. But in my opinion it is unnecessary and would be unwise to extend them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe you should think before you post. Two or three small nuclear bombs over a country smaller than New Jersey would wipe Israel off the face of the earth. It would take more than three hundred nukes to wipe out their enemy, one that is probably willing to make that sacrifice. Or is that what you are hoping for?

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I see the theology angle as I do the heroin problem in Afghanistan: fighting the wrong enemy. American policy is to wipe out the crops, alienating the Afghans. Canada allows poppies right up to their outpost barbed wire because eliminating livlihoods makes it harder to achieve military and social objectives. Taliban is strengthened by NATO's policy split on who will fight and who won't, and whether removing poppies is good strategy for removing Taliban.

Oh builder, I did think long and hard before I posted but apparently you did not. Obviously you sir missed the history lesson. To put it in elementary terms for you: What has 60 years of coddling Isreal accomplished for our interest? Exactly what George Washington said would happen.

Lets read it a little slower this time.....

"a passionate attachment of one nation for another produces a variety of evils. Sympathy for the favorite nation, facilitating the illusion of an imaginary common interest in cases where no real common interest exists, and infusing into one the enmities of the other, betrays the former into a participation in the quarrels and wars of the latter without adequate inducement or justification."

BTW..... Israel is probably the best intelligence gather in the world and has one of best militaries in the world. I don't think for one moment, Israel is going to sit back while Iran gets nukes any more then they let Iraq in the 80s......When the time comes, they will without a doubt do something about it, if we already haven't.

Am I hoping Israel gets wiped out?.....Not hardly but Israel has proven they can take care of themselves so it may be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

King, the problem is that the poppy revenue is being used to support the Taliban. That crop needs to be replaced with something else from which Afghan farmers can make a living, but from which the Taliban cannot prosper. It's the old "kill the alligators or drain the swamp" dilemma. If we got rid of the Taliban, then we could deal with the poppy issue. On the other hand, getting rid of the poppies would deal a blow to the Taliban.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When the sands of the desert are turned into glass I might shed a tear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, Canadians say buy the poppies, make it legal, they're needed as pharmaceutical drugs for our aging populations. cut out the Taliban, provide a living for the people until someone finds a market for another crop.

For all the yapping in the corridors of UN and NATO, none of the suits has come up with a crop to take the place of poppies, now world's main source of heroin, far bigger than the Columbia cartel.

Karzai, today begging Canada to stay, says he'll cut out corruption and majesty of the warlords if we'll keep our troops there beyond February 2009. He says we're needed to teach Afghans how to fight! Dear god.

Our guys, taking the heaviest casualties per capita in Afghanistan, don't need the animosity and hatred of Afghans going about their operations. We take a village and outpost, hand it to the ANP, they lose it and we take it again---and again.

We're not mowing down poppies. Remember the hooches in 'Nam?

Sidelock
Sidelock

King, I heard that idea discussed. Cost would be astronomical.

From what I've heard of the police in Afghanistan, they're similar to the police in Iraq. The local militaries are improving both places, but the cops are not to be relied on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The pity is that Karzai is negotiatingh with the Taliban because there will be no settlement without the Taliban. There can be no political settlement until both sides are deadlocked on the battlefield. Any power-sharing arrangement will involve the Taliban in an integrated army and police.

Think of it, Larry: There are no conditions for a stalemate now. But if there were, not even Karzai and NATO have been able to integrate an effective fighting force, army or police, after five years under the strongest panoply of firepower the world has ever seen. A settlement is more Stone Age.

And so it goes.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.