May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (HMAK, liverwort, 1 invisible), 1,039 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,622
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, King. I have a baggo stories like that, courtesy of my Dad's decision to bring me up in the same outdoor and gunning traditions that he was raised in. My uncle's decision to box up and send me that Lefever was just another nail in the coffin. Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

OD, I agree, at that price you can not get hurt! What type of forend release does it have? Probably a push button, but maybe a clam shell/lever.
Best,
Craig

Sidelock
Sidelock

OD, most all DS and I grades were semi-pistol grips, as well as many H and G grades. They get rarer in the higher grades, and a 16 E would be very rare. You found a nice one!
Can't wait to see some pics!
Best,
Craig

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the grip on this one capped or uncapped? I believe the DS grades virtually all came with an uncapped "Half Pistol" grip, while often higher grades with the half grip had a rounded cap on them. I do have a very late H grade with an un-capped half grip.
Remember also at the time this gun was made an F was the bottom of the line. The G grade was not aded until about '91 as I recall. Does anyone have knowledge of a G preceding the "Two Hook" guns?

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's probably a little hard to determine how scarce round knob grips are in E Grade smallbores since E Grade smallbores are a bit hard to get into a room to be counted. Yeah, graded round knobs are scarce, but so are E Grade smallbores. Guess I'll have to get out my list, but grip styles are seldom mentioned and the "list" is getting a little grey in the temples.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the input Gents,
The Lefever 16 came home with me yesterday. There were a few things different than I remembered after the quick look Saturday, but for the most part it was as I have described.

Miller, The "Half Pistol" grip is uncapped, and Craig, yes it's a push button forend release. Most notably is the rather plain appearance much like the E Grade 16 #9568 that Bill Murphy described earlier with very sparse engraving. The nicely figured stock on this one makes up for lack of fancy scratch.

The "E" stamp on the water table that looked like an "F" in the beginning, appears to be a weak letter stamp on the bottom of the "E". The barrel flat definitely has an "E" stamp and all numbers match. It's not as light as I remembered, but that's ok as I prefer a little more weight in my hands. I'll try and post some photos tonight and you guys can decide what you think about the "E" stamp and the half grip.

O-D

Sidelock
Sidelock

Old-Doubles, does your 16 gauge E Grade live near my 16 gauge E Grade? Mine goes out for show and tell occasionally. I live in MD so it went out to the Baltimore Show last year to be shown to a couple of Lefever collectors. Maybe we could get together for a picture session. Bill Murphy

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bill, MD and the Baltimore Show are a fairly long hike from my neck of the woods.

I went through my old Shooting Sportsman mags and found the March-April 2004 with your "E" on page 51, a nice early Lefever with great history. Someone also sent me images from a March 1996 Lefever Arms Collectors Assoc Newsletter showing two different "E" grades (#9452 & #10462) with very little engraving. Bill mentioned earlier that his "E Grade 16 #9568 doesn't even have scroll rosettes, only nicely engraved screws and borders", and this is much like the "E" #10598 I have found. If I read the numbers correctly it is only 83 away from Miller 2-piper's 10ga Lefever, SN'd 10515. I believe this 16 to be an "E" and as I said before, looking closely, the grade mark on the water table appears to be a weak or faint "E" stamp. Below are some pic's, what are your thoughts, is it a keeper?

O-D

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like it. Do you think the stock has been "freshened up" at some point? not enough detail in the pictures to tell either way. I would agree that it is certainly an E. And I would certainly keep it.

Alex

Sidelock
Sidelock

O-D, That is one nifty old E grade. It should hook you on Lefevers. If so, consider joining the Lefever Collectors Association, modest dues, 6 newsletters a year. If you want to join, let me know. RichardBrewster@nyc.rr.com
Tel. (212) 722-3437, evening & weekends.

Rich
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.