May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (DSchrank, Guy Ave, susjwp, skeettx), 371 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,465
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#645911 04/22/24 11:28 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The 2024 Great Lakes regional side-by-side season has been launched with the completion of the 2024 Gentlemens cup event.

Unbelievably, 112 shooters showed up (most ever)!
It seemed a good time was had by all.
All the essential ingredients were there, with a few additional improvements, leaning into the future.
Easy online registration.
Smooth registration process at the clubhouse sign in table.
Good parking management.
Modest price.
100 targets, $50.00 including lunch.

And most importantly, a cool, but dry day to play outside.

The eventual (but not unexpected) trap break downs were addressed about as fast as they could be, with a MEC rep on site for the unexpected stuff. And a dedicated team of volunteers to keep carousels full, and weak batteries replaced.

The 2024 Great Lakes regional shooting season looks to be a very busy one, with 6 to 8 upcoming events scheduled throughout the region.

I haven’t seen that many in 30 years, and I was blown away that 100+ shooters showed up Saturday with the intention of enjoying their shotguns.

That is incredible, and portends good things (I hope) for lovers of vintage sxs shotguns going forward.

It looks to be a busy summer for the SxS crowd around Michigan.

Well done Don !

Out there doing it best I can.
3 members like this: Parabola, eeb, Hammergun
rtw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad that you had a great time!

RWG Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ:

Where is the schedule published for these GL Regional SxS shoots? My friends and I use to host SxS shoots in MI, IN and Ohio about 15-20 years ago. Unfortunately, many of those friends are no longer with us. So the GLSXSA is no longer. Good to read that others have taken up the call to host such shoots in the region. Russ

Last edited by RWG; 04/22/24 01:03 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The answer is nowhere.

However,
There is some effort to allow co-marketing at every shoot for later shoots at other clubs.
With caveats real, implied, or imagined.

Shoots that I know of for SxS lovers that occur most years.

Gentleman’s Cup at the Freeland Sportsman’s Club, Freeland, MI. Starts the season for 30 years or so.

Bay County Sportsman’s club has one this year

Lapeer Sportsman Club

Grand Blanc Sportsman’s club

Lansing Sportsman Congress

Cedar Rod and Gun club

The Yooper Shoot

Bald Mountain has one

There’s one by Grand Rapids that is a DU fundraiser

Lewiston allegedly has one this summer

I’m on mailing lists and just pick out the ones that friends are going to, or I’m curious about.

There are probably more, but that’s just off the top of my head this morning.

The clubs do a good job balancing fun, hospitality, and competition.
It’s not easy. I commend the organizers.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The local chapter of the Vintagers made Fox 31 News:

https://kdvr.com/news/outdoor-color...le-and-a-blast-to-shoot-enthusiasts-say/

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

RWG, in a small way I am trying to continue the old GLSxSA. May 19 at Back Forty Sporting Clays we will have a Memorial Shoot, to remember Erik Koik, Joe Zemitis and Paul Belpasso, and most recently Bob Walter. Breakfast is at 9, squads shotgun start at 9:45. We shoot report pairs and true pairs and this year for fun several stations will throw targets that might be able to taken with 1 shot. You can choose to shoot all true pairs and Go for the Glory, as bonus points are awarded for 2 birds hit with 1 shot. Tables for show and swap are free on first come basis. Small prize for high score in categories, 12 and 16, 20 and 28, 410. Back Forty is outside Bourbon, IN

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
RWG Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nitrah:

Thanks for keeping the Erik, Joe and Paul's memory alive. As you know I was very close with each of them. John Meeker too. I miss our gatherings.

RWG Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks CZ. I recognize some of those shoots. I need to get myself out to a couple of them this year.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Side-by-side shoots are a real prisoner’s dilemma.

Each club wants to help other nearby clubs, but not cannibalize their event.

BM can jump in at any time and ruin some little club’s preparations.

The shooters are mostly retirees and are cost sensitive. They ration their cartridges.
Spring to summer’s end is about 15 weeks. Only so many slots.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sad to learn about Erik, remember him from Shooting Sportsman, way back then! Good shooting folks!
Chief

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.