May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, RWG, ksauers1, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 248 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,492
Posts545,325
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

This will teach me to snoop around out-of-town gun stores. I was buying some ammo last week and ran across a clean old F-grade Lefever. Another heavy, American 12-gauge double (& I already have plenty) but....this one seems to be better than average. Damascus tubes, decent wood, clean and unabused. G-grades tend to be pretty common in my experience, this is probably the 1st F-grade I've ever seen up close or handled. What says the cognoscenti here?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/16/24 07:12 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I had to choose, I would take the Lefever. I think the locking, and cocking, mechanisms are much simpler than the L.C. Smith. I have owned a few of each, and really appreciated the overall simplicity of the Lefever when disassembling/reassembling.

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

2 members like this: ChiefAmungum, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Per Dewey Vicknair :

DeweyDecember 16, 2020 at 5:04 PM

“ Almost anything is a better double than a Smith.”

But if you want a real expert’s bona fide ( best George Clooney “ soggy bottom boys voice) take on a Smith - go consult Pine Creek Dave!

6 members like this: John Roberts, Dan S. W., Kip, canvasback, gunmaker, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

2 members like this: eeb, Roundsworth
Sidelock
Sidelock

The head of the Lefever stock has more wood surface to transmit recoil, so finding this is not common

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Smith

2 members like this: ChiefAmungum, Roundsworth
Sidelock
Sidelock

LeFever wins, hands down. No contest, etc.

Chief

1 member likes this: graybeardtmm3
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Now Ted, you know I already have a good Spanish gun.

What started all this silliness was the beating my Arrieta was giving me on clays. These heavier American guns (8-lbs versus 6 1/2-lbs) are far-more comfortable to shoot high-volumes with and then... thanks to all of the insidious "gun-snobbery" here (& Mr. Vicknair of-course), I was able to obtain some very nice examples to shoot for a very reasonable outlay. I actually funded my last two guns by selling some classic American bamboo rods and some old American fly reels.

Are you noticing a theme here? "Classic American" stuff is still popular in this country and that includes many of our own doubles. Call it nostalgia, call it jingoistic, call me obtuse(!) but any gun that is still doing the job it was designed to do after 125-years is just fine with me (& frankly, it's got pretty good karma at that point too). For years, I couldn't afford any of the better American stuff (especially when I was younger) because it was massively popular with the generations that preceded mine. But now, after all the bad press it's been getting in the gun blogs for the last several years, the prices are quite reasonable. That Grade 2 Syracuse Smith I just got is very dramatic to look at(!) and it shoots just dandy on clays. I wouldn't want to lug it over hill & dale for upland stuff, but for waterfowl and even turkey it would be just the ticket.

To close here: I'll grant you... Pine Creek Dave is rather enthusiastic about his guns of choice, as is his prerogative. I promise you this: he's having a great time with them. As a Pennsylvania boy myself, I've been to his part of the world and it's downright lovely. I only wish I could just step out my door and have a gorgeous trout stream to fish and then almost endless wilderness to chase game in. We should all be so lucky.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/17/24 09:21 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

21 Advantages and Improvements! 1903

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been inside field grade Smiths but never a Lefever. I can say that on the field grade guns ( maybe higher grade interiors are better) that they are very roughly made. Surprisingly they work

John
Quality Arms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
1 member likes this: David Williamson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd

I have an Arrieta that I shoot at clays extensively
I like 2 3/4 dram loads
Can shoot no issues
When I shoot trap I shoot by myself and shoot 50 non stop

Maybe you are using 3 dram loads. I have some 3 dram loads but do not like them, so reserve for other shotgun

Stay well

John
ARRIETA

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.